CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

steam will not let me download source SDK base

every time i try to download a mod for hlf2 or play left 4 dead 2 it says i need source sdk base and when i try to download it i says that the servers are too busy and i have tried many times and it still says the same thing any suggestions ?

Hi,

Hmmm.....I do know since the new Steam client was released (actually,
this all occurred after the Mac steam client was released when Portal was
made 'free') that the source sdk package was updated (2 or 3 times)
as a result. It may very well be (especially over the weekend) that the
error message you received was actually correct...the servers were too busy 8)

I'll have to imagine it was their end, not your's...retry the operation
and if it still behaves badly, post back here...(note: I was just able to
connect and start downloading source sdk base from here in .AU no problem,
but typically 'now' in this locale is 'the quiet time' as far as the rest
of the world goes 8)

Cheers!

still doesnt work ive tried downloading left 4 dead 2, zombie panic source, and source sdk base still hasnt worked

Hmmmm....have you tried installing source sdk base by itself? (ie; not
starting a game to do it, but going into the Tools tab of the Steam gui
and trying to install it from there)...let me know....

....or.....what happens if you create a new steam bottle (backup your
existing steamapps first, delete that bottle) and just try downloading
into that fresh installation...does source sdk base install then?

Cheers!

I have a similar problem in which I get the message "The steam servers are too busy to handle your request..." but this is to play HL2 Episode 0ne. Surely I don't need the SDK to run this out of the box?

Steam is ideal for those that enjoy tinkering with game software more than actually playing games. It is unfortunate that halflife is only available under steam.

Hi,

No, you don't need SDK Base to play HL2-EP1 ....

This is all very weird though....what I just did here was;

delete Source SDK Base 2007
delete Source SDK Base

Play HL2:EP1 through the first 2 episodes...(it didn't ask to install SDK base)..quit game.

Go into my Steam GUI 'tools' directory, click on Source SDK Base, then select install game...

..it started to install, and just finished downloading a few minutes ago...no problem.

So...I dunno...hard to comment on something I can't recreate. My guess is your Steam installation
is somehow corrupted itself and/or it has something to do with the servers in your locale? Not sure,
but I can't see any problem like this here in .AU ...

I'm using CXG-9.0 on linux -- no problems here at all (although I did hear some chatter on IRC
that the EU servers were playing up a bit recently)....

Posted: "Steam is ideal for those that enjoy tinkering with game software more than actually playing games."

Pffft!...that is so misleading. Source SDK is for tinkering with games -- Steam is for -playing- games (and
that's all I do with Steam)...in fact, that's what over 90% of people use Steam for -- playing games.

Posted: "It is unfortunate that halflife is only available under steam"

Not entirely correct -- if you look around, DVD releases of the title are still available (and you
can also register those releases on Steam if you have the original DVD product code)..

I'm still a little mystified as to the problem though -- as I suggest above, I would archive (backup)
my existing Steam content, delete that bottle and start afresh ; then the first thing I would do is
try to download/install Source SDK Base. If that didn't work, something really weird is going on here..

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Posted: "[i]It is unfortunate that halflife is only available
under steam[/i]"

Not entirely correct -- if you look around, DVD releases of the
title are still available (and you
can also register those releases on Steam if you have the original
DVD product code)..

The DVD releases of any Source game just have Steam on them and the required Steam files to install it (which will then update automagically when you take it online anyway). The only ways to play HalfLife 2 or any of the Episodes without Steam would be highly frowned upon by Valve.

That said, I'm entirely with you, Don, in that Steam has been extremely well behaved of late, not causing me any problems with any of my compatible games that I've downloaded and played. In all honesty apart from the small issues with window movement in the Steam window itself every now and then, it behaves just as it would on Windows.

i may be just adding to the confusion but when i had the 'servers are too busy' msg deleting the 2 '.blog' files in Steam solved the problem. don't know if that applies here. :(

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid2VXVUd2ZWVMNlkydUtlUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9