CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

All games hang up

Hi Guys,

(I know that Steam for Mac has been launched without my favourite games like Counterstrike etc). Whenever I start my games on Steam via Crossover on my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz 4GB RAM) everything just hangs up and I can't do anything except hold the Power Button to shut off my MacBook and that is sooooo annoying.

Please help me asap.... SOS..... Can't live without my games/Steam via Crossover until Steam for Mac evolves and grows up.

Hi,

Do you have both installed...ie; the windows Steam client and the Mac
Steam client? If so, there may be some conflict happening there...but,
at any rate, you should ask this question in the following forum;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=206;forum=1

Some folks there have already mentioned some of these conflicts, and there's
more Steam users there to help you (not everyone who users Steam reads this
general forum)...

Cheers!

What version of CrossOver Games are you using? What version of Mac OS X are you using? What graphics card (GPU) does your Mac have?

Does your Mac lock up just by launching Steam, or only when you try launching a game from within Steam?

If your Mac locks up, that's a problem with either the hardware (not likely) or the OS kernel or kernel-level software like the graphics driver. Since CrossOver is purely user-level software, it should not be able to lock up your system. It's the job of the kernel to prevent that. CrossOver may be what is triggering the bug in the kernel-level software, but the bug is still in the kernel-level software.

When we've seen similar sorts of things, it's generally been the graphics drivers. The drivers have generally improved a lot with updates to the OS (Tiger was quite bad, Leopard was better, and Snow Leopard is better still), although there have been some regressions.

Hi, Ken, My Mac locks up only after i play a game for a couple of minutes and NOT just by launching Steam or by launching a game. I have Crossover Version 9.0b4 (9.0.0) and MAC OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) and the following Graphics card (GPU):

(Sorry, I just copied everything as I was not sure about what to write about the graphics card).

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3437
gMux Version: 1.7.3
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model:NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3437
gMux Version: 1.7.3

Hi, Don, I hope that works out for me. Thank you....

So, you're running Snow Leopard with a GPU which isn't known to be troublesome.

You're running a beta version of CrossOver. You should be running the actual release version of CrossOver Games 9.

One possibility is that your Mac has not completely locked up (a window server hang or kernel panic). Instead, the game which is running full-screen has locked up.

If that happens, try Command-Option-R. That's a keyboard shortcut telling CrossOver to exit out of full-screen mode. That way, you should have the ability to clear things up. You can use the Task Manager (taskmgr) control panel from the Manage Bottles window. Alternatively, you can use the Quit Bottle and/or Force Quit Bottle buttons on the Bottle tab of that window.

If Command-Option-R doesn't bring back the CrossOver menu bar, the you can try force quitting CrossOver itself with Command-Option-Escape followed by Return.

If neither of those work, then that suggests it really is a full-system lockup. That may be a hardware problem. Your GPU may be heating up. That may be an issue for Apple to investigate.

You might experiment with playing the game in windowed mode and with graphics settings turned down. The windowed mode will let you more clearly distinguish between the game locking up and the whole computer locking up; if the game stops responding, you can try switching to other applications by clicking on them or with Command-Tab.

The lower graphics settings might avoid any potential problem with the GPU overheating.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ0pmZ3JMZWtUOUtyTk5nQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9