CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Limit Memory Size in Bottle

I'm trying to get an unsupported game to work in CXgames 9, but I've come across a problem. The game (Sacrifice) is fairly old, and has a bug where if there is more than a gig of RAM, it will give an error that there isn't enough memory. In XP, the suggested solution is to limit the paging file to less than a gig, and I've found that solution to work in the past. I was hoping to know if there was a similar way to limit the amount of memory the application sees, so that it'll run in cxgames.

Hi,

I don't believe there is a way to do this -- I have an almost identical situation wrt 'Juiced' ; in that case (in windows as well) if you have more than 2gb of system ram installed it refuses to start. In this case (using crossover/wine & linux) I have two options 1. the windows option (physically remove the system ram so it's =<2gb ..or... 2. the linux option to pass the kernel bootparam of 'mem=2000000' or such when booting the OS. Neither is particularly convenient wrt normal machine usage....

One of the codeweavers crew did point me to a patch that can be applied to the wine source tree that limits the amount of ram the wine process itself will allocate for usage by the win32 apps being run by it -- normally speaking the wine process allocates a stack of ram in the same way/amount as would a 'real'
win32 kernel ---- this patch is not applicable for the crossover-wine build (it would break/impact upon too many other things crossover does run fine).

Ergo...I believe you're in the same boat as I am with Juiced -- you'll have to run it using a suitably patched/compiled wine instead of using crossover. If you want to know more about this, just post back here and I'll give you all the gory details of how to achieve this B)

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVUdKZnhyNjRISEhIWDNyRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9