CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Problems with Steam/hl2 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu

I really want to get my Steam games working under Linux - I really do. The problems I'm having though are these:

• Under Ubuntu, any Steam game using hl2.exe will just crash - every time.
  • Under Kubuntu, games will run in windowed mode, but incredibly slowly.

Anyone else had these problems and know of fixes (or a distro where things work, properly)?

My hardware is an Acer Aspire 5720G laptop (Core i3-330M 2.13GHz, 4Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 512Mb).

Hi,

My best guess is videocard drivers associate with the HD 5470 IGP.
Have you manually installed the latest proprietary Ati drivers yet? You
will very much need to, and include the 32bit libs that ship with that
driver set. I imagine there'll be some help about that installation on
the Ubuntu forums....

Cheers!

Oki dokie, I've done that, now I get the following issues:

• In the main menu, server list and player lists letters are missing
  • When I open a menu option the sound it plays repeats itself
  • Certain settings I can only set to medium and others are disabled - those which I'd like to adjust!

After testing Team Fortress 2, it's behaviour seems somewhat laggy in-game with the settings at their highest (which is medium for a few controls), a problem that didn't happen under Windows (games handled all settings at their absolute maximum).

Hi,

TF2 has been a bit like that of late, I'm not sure where the issue is there...
(might be the CXG-9 release or it might be just a coincidence that TF2 started
to do this after numerous Steam updates that started to appear after the Mac
version of the Steam UI shipped) ...I'm sort of waiting for the next CXG release
before I start throwing stones at this...

ATI 'lost me as a customer' many years ago when it became clear their linux driver
support was woeful compared to what nvidia has been capable of in the same regard.
If installing the proprietary drivers moved all this forward, you're probably now
experiencing some of these woeful driver supports I speak of.

You cannot compare what windows does with the same title on the same hardware - the
reason is (again..) that Ati drivers for windows are in a lot better state than the
other OS drivers for their products.

Make sure you don't have compiz or any other desktop effects enabled when trying to
use crossover/wine - typically speaking these desktop effects are detrimental to the
performance of games hoisted with crossover/wine.

You might be able to pass some extra runtime options at the Source based games to get
them to run better....have a look at the following threads;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;tips=1

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Setting_Game_Launch_Options

Cheers!

edit: another user posted today this wrt another game but using about the same hardware
and drivers you are using...;

APP ID: 6058
NAME: Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery
UPDATE BY: kongwak
DETAILS: new comment added to application

SUBJECT: using an ATI 5700 series card
BODY:

I just thought that I would suggest that anyone trying to get this game to work with a an ATI 5700 video card you upgrade the catalyst driver to at least 10.6 (the latest at the time of writing).

Also I found that I needed to change the in games graphic settings for:

shadow quality - off
atmospheric scattering - low
Post effects - low

Going by that report, what you are seeing seems somewhat analogous.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYWJKZ1hTVVBuY2JaMkF4eiIsImdkcHIiOjB9