CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Torchlight on Steam

Hey guys,

I know this is very, very early days for getting anything functional, as Torchlight was just released today, but I thought I'd at least raise awareness of this little gem a bit, and see if anyone else has been trying to get Torchlight running.

It's developed by the same guys who led the Diablo and Diablo 2 team and the guy that was lead developer on Fate. They all teamed up to make Mythos (which was critically acclaimed, and just great!), but as some would know, Flagship Studios took them down when they went under.

So Torchlight is their newly released product, and it's really amazing for $20.

It's also very adaptable graphics-wise, so I thought it'd be a perfect candidate for Crossover Games.

Anyway, I tried to load it in my regular steam bottle, but I get a Visual C++ Runtime error, and I'm a bit stumped where to go from here (am still new to all this). SO I thought I'd create this thread at least to generate interest and future dialogue/attempts at getting Torchlight running!

Thanks in advance for assisting :)

Open /Users/YOU/Library/Application\ Support/CrossOver\ Games/Bottles/BOTTLENAME/drive_c/users/crossover/Application\ Data/runic\ games/torchlight/settings.txt

Set:
FULLSCREEN :0
RES_WIDTH :1900
RES_HEIGHT :1200

Then when you launch the game. It will be windowed, and auto resize the window to fit. Just hide the dock and play away.

Hansi wrote:

Open /Users/YOU/Library/Application\ Support/CrossOver\
Games/Bottles/BOTTLENAME/drive_c/users/crossover/Application\
Data/runic\ games/torchlight/settings.txt

Set:
FULLSCREEN :0
RES_WIDTH :1900
RES_HEIGHT :1200

Then when you launch the game. It will be windowed, and auto resize
the window to fit. Just hide the dock and play away.

Wow, I can't believe you've had some success with it!
Is this the Steam version that you have installed? And if so, have you installed anything else into the bottle?

That text file didn't exist in the directory you listed, should I just be creating it?

EDIT: I tried to create that text file in a Vanilla Steam bottle with Crossover Games 8.0, and I get the following error:

The program Torchlight.exe has encountered a serious problem... This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

Sounds like you didn't encounter that problem, any idea what it could be?

Got it working!!! Thanks so much for the help, Hansi!

Seems my problem was that the settings.txt file wasn't created properly initially (and you can't have one be created unless you can get into the game, which unfortunately is circular!).

SOLUTION: Run the game the first time in SAFEMODE. Right click Torchlight in Steam, then go to Properties.
Then go to "Launch Options", and type SAFEMODE=1. Now run the game.

This will now generate a settings file at this location-- /Users/YOU/Library/Application\ Support/CrossOver\ Games/Bottles/BOTTLENAME/drive_c/users/crossover/Application\ Data/runic\ games/torchlight/ :

Open this file, and change FULLSCREEN :1 to FULLSCREEN :0 and replace RES_WIDTH and RES_HEIGHT with desired values for width and height of window.
Also, remember to remove SAFEMODE=1 from the Steam launch options!

Seems to run exceptionally well on my MBP unibody. Would love to see a full screen mode be supported in the future, but for now I'm content!

EDIT:

Actually, something seems really messed up with some of the in-game lighting. All of the torches in the game have massive plumes of fire, it's like the fire effect has gone wonky and fills up a good portion of the screen. Anyone know if there's a setting I need to play with, or what could be the source of this problem?

Please explain to me what I am doing incorrectly. I have installed Torchlight in a bottle, and receive the following error message:

The command "/Users/My Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/Torchlight.exe" returned 1.

StdOut:

StdErr:wine: could not load L"C:\Program Files\Runic Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe": Bad EXE format for
winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute L"\"C:\Program Files\Runic Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe\""

I have tried to install Torchlight in a stand alone bottle, the default (WinXP) bottle, and a Steam bottle, each with little success. I am sure that I am overlooking something minor, and I would appreciate it if someone would enlighten me.

Just an FYI guys, this is what the problem I'm currently having looks like:

I can't seem to work out what's wrong, but for some reason the particle system is going haywire.
Is there really no one else having this problem? Everyone seems to be reporting how great it's working!

Joshua Greenblatt wrote:

Please explain to me what I am doing incorrectly. I have installed
Torchlight in a bottle, and receive the following error message:

The command "/Users/My Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver
Games/Bottles/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Runic
Games/Torchlight/Torchlight.exe" returned 1.

StdOut:

StdErr:wine: could not load L"C:\Program Files\Runic
Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe": Bad EXE format for
winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute L"\"C:\Program Files\Runic
Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe\""

I have tried to install Torchlight in a stand alone bottle, the
default (WinXP) bottle, and a Steam bottle, each with little
success. I am sure that I am overlooking something minor, and I
would appreciate it if someone would enlighten me.

I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that everyone that has Torchlight running on Crossover Games to date is using the steam install of the game. From your installation directory I can see you have the standalone version of the game instead.

This may be the source of your problems. If it turns out that it is, you can email Runic Games and explain your situation to them, and that you intend to buy it over steam so that it works on your mac. There was one instance on the Torchlight forum of something similar occuring, and the staff on there were pretty understanding, and asked the person to email them for a refund.

Anyone got the game running without Steam?

I've played the steam version without problem using the fixes posted above, originally found on the Runic forums Here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?uid=2073&f=24&t=1355&start=0

I ended up buying the game from the Runic website rather than from Steam though as it was cheaper.

Crossover doesn't seem to like the standalone install though I get an error when running it:

'Bad EXE format for'

That's with the safemode version and normal one.

I might try and force the game to run through the steam install as that seems like a more complete bottle, installing lots of extras, where as the standalone just seems to install the app.

Windburn - I actually did exactly as you said, prior to seeing your reply. What is even better, is Runic gave me a full refund less than five minutes after I sent them my request. Now THAT is customer service.

I was able to get the game up and running using the Steam setup as outlined here (and elsewhere). I cannot find a settings.txt file, but other than that the game runs well. Sometimes the flames are a little out of control; I get a "ghost" effect when either me or my pet is behind a wall; and a few other minor quirks.

Dean - don't bother trying to fight it. I tried every which way to get it to work from the Runic direct route - no dice. Steam seems to be the only way to get this to work. Email Runic, explain your situation, you'll get the refund. Buy the game through Steam. The time that you are putting towards a "new" fix could be better spent mashing faces and leaving a trail of blood.

Joshua Greenblatt wrote:

Windburn - I actually did exactly as you said, prior to seeing your
reply. What is even better, is Runic gave me a full refund less
than five minutes after I sent them my request. Now THAT is
customer service.

I was able to get the game up and running using the Steam setup as
outlined here (and elsewhere). I cannot find a settings.txt file,
but other than that the game runs well. Sometimes the flames are a
little out of control; I get a "ghost" effect when either me or my
pet is behind a wall; and a few other minor quirks.

Dean - don't bother trying to fight it. I tried every which way to
get it to work from the Runic direct route - no dice. Steam seems
to be the only way to get this to work. Email Runic, explain your
situation, you'll get the refund. Buy the game through Steam. The
time that you are putting towards a "new" fix could be better spent
mashing faces and leaving a trail of blood.

How did you approach them for a refund? I sent an email yesterday morning (about 30 hours ago) explaining the situation but I've not heard anything back from them.

I managed to get in touch with them.

Happily playing the game via Steam now.

Hack. Smash. Loot.

Windburn wrote:

Got it working!!! Thanks so much for the help, Hansi!

Seems my problem was that the settings.txt file wasn't created
properly initially (and you can't have one be created unless you can
get into the game, which unfortunately is circular!).

SOLUTION: Run the game the first time in SAFEMODE. Right
click Torchlight in Steam, then go to Properties.
Then go to "Launch Options", and type SAFEMODE=1. Now run the game.

I'm trying this, but I keep getting an error saying "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly." Any ideas?

Has anyone tried this with the Torchlight Demo? I've set the SAFEMODE to =1 and I run the thing through Steam but I get the entry screen, with the three characters, and nothing else.

Any ideas?

Peter Pimblett wrote:

Has anyone tried this with the Torchlight Demo? I've set the
SAFEMODE to =1 and I run the thing through Steam but I get the entry
screen, with the three characters, and nothing else.

Any ideas?

For whatever it's worth at this point - the game launches with the 9.0 Beta. More progress than I had before at least.

ended up not playing much, but hey, it launched!

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ2NFeDlwckdkYzVkTnNxdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9