CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Stuttering sound in Steam games

Hi,

I'm using the trial version of CrossOver Games to see if it's worth it for me to pickup. I'm having a pretty annoying issue right now. It seems that games I launch from Steam have really bad sound stuttering (I haven't tried any games that aren't installed via Steam yet).
I've tested and confirmed the issue with world of goo and TF2. In TF2 it's been a little intermittent and random. At first it was always shutters/stutters. After messing around with sound things (I really don't remember what exactly) it started having stuttering at first then no sound for about 30 minutes then the regular sound came back and it was fine except for the occasional stutter (which seemed to be related to the amount of action going on). After looking into the issue a little more and testing a few different sound settings in the OS it is back to stuttering all of the time.

Most of the sound testing I've done involves removing pulseaudio and using ALSA, but every way I've tried it completely breaks the audio for the entire system and the only way to get it back is to compile and reinstall the ALSA driver.

I'm using:
ubuntu 9.10
on-board Intel HDA sound
Core 3 Duo 3GHz
4 GB Ram
nVidia 8800 GTS 512MB (G92)

Any advice/thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

Aaron wrote:

Hi,

snip<

Most of the sound testing I've done involves removing pulseaudio and
using ALSA, but every way I've tried it completely breaks the audio
for the entire system and the only way to get it back is to compile
and reinstall the ALSA driver.

I'm using:
ubuntu 9.10
on-board Intel HDA sound
Core 3 Duo 3GHz
4 GB Ram
nVidia 8800 GTS 512MB (G92)

Any advice/thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

Are you saying here that (re)compiling/reinstalling the also sound driver (kernel) modules
actually fixes this problem? Are you taking about the external alsa driver package? If so,
what's the version difference (if any) between the shipped alsa drivers and the ones you've
found that gets your sound back...have you checked on the Steam, TF2 pages here, or WineHQ
to see if someone's encountered a similar thing?...also, what videocard drivers are you
using?

Cheers!

well... I'm not exactly sure if it's kernal modules... i'm following the steps here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 under "ALSA driver Compilation." I've tried both "Using alsa-source" and "Using drivers from alsa-project." In the latter case I used version 1.0.20. Both fix the issues of the sound breaking after removing pulseaudio. To elaborate on that, after I remove pulseaudio, aplay -l returns "no sound card found" and the GNOME ALSA Mixer is completely blank.

I'm not sure what the different versions are/were. How would I find that? (Sorry still working on a getting a better handle on linux... it's amazing how useless knowledge of supporting windows is when it comes to some of this stuff.)

I've looked at WineHQ and a little on steam and TF2 forums, as well as just googleing the issue in general, but haven't found anything that fixes it. I read some stuff about fixing stuttering in general, mostly turning down graphics settings with an autoexec.cfg. I've tried that and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm using "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 185) [Recommended]" under System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I don't have any of those issues when running in Windows on the same hardware.

Thanks for getting back so quick.

Hi,

I think a lot of us are running nvidia 190.42 or better now-a-days ; I'm
not necessarily saying that will fix anything, it's just an observation.

It is kernel modules - the only thing I can think of, is the alsa sound
drivers shipped standard, have in someway been hacked to facilitate the
pulseaudio system...but I'm not sure, I don't use ubuntu myself...

I should have asked is you've disabled any desktop effects like compriz
etc??...they can cause issues like this sometimes...

Have you tried running things with 'Emulate a virtual desktop' set ON
in winecfg?

Cheers!

hmmm... OK. I looked at the video driver stuff before, but it looks like 185 is the newest driver in the ubuntu repositories. I'll see about getting it straight from nvidia or something.

I've read in many places that you should be able to remove pulse audio and set it to alsa, but I can't find any place to change sound settings once pulse audio is removed because everything related to sound seems to be either blank or doesn't load.

I had compriz installed at one point, but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it, could something it did still be effecting the system?
I did have the Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects set to Extra, so I switched that to None but it didn't get rid of the problem.

I have to run it in virtual desktop or TF2 hangs off the edge of the screen and when I go into the options there is only once choice for the screen size.

Thanks!

Newly compiled on Wine 1.1.35, dsound.dll.so and winealsa.drv.so have been uploaded to http://dl.codeweavers.com

Replacing these files on Ubuntu 9.10 appears to fix the sound issue.

First, go to:

http://dl.codeweavers.com
access code: left4dead2

Download each file

Then, cd into:

~/cxgames/lib/wine (/opt/cxgames/lib/wine)

Rename dsound.dll.so (dsound.dll.so.bad)
Rename winealsa.drv.so (winealsa.drv.so.bad)

Copy dsound.dll.so & winealsa.drv.so

Into the ~/cxgames/lib/wine (/opt/cxgames/lib/wine) directory.

Launch the game affected and it should be much better.

Please let us know if this helps your situation or email us if you still experience sound issues after trying this fix (support ticket or info@codeweavers.com).

Reference Bug 5844

Caron, this fix works perfectly for all my problems.

I had bad sound in Ventrilo and all Steam games.
Now they work just great!

Caron Wills wrote:

Newly compiled on Wine 1.1.35, dsound.dll.so and winealsa.drv.so
have been uploaded to http://dl.codeweavers.com

Replacing these files on Ubuntu 9.10 appears to fix the sound issue.

First, go to:

http://dl.codeweavers.com
access code: left4dead2

Download each file

Reference Bug 5844

I had the same problem and after replacing the files, I get much better sound in Dawn of War, but the problem persists in King's Bounty: The Legend.

Marc Ordinas i Llopis wrote:

I had the same problem and after replacing the files, I get much
better sound in Dawn of War, but the problem persists in King's
Bounty: The Legend.

Glad to see you got the download access working.

Everything that I know of to try at this time is documented here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Ubuntu910pulseaudio

We do have our sound expert working on a more permanent fix, but for now this is all I've got. Perhaps the final workaround will bring you some joy... (toggling the pavucontrol when launched from terminal).

Also, some reports have stated that the changes don't take effect until you have restarted your system. I have no confirmation of this as the steps I outlined in the Support Article worked on initial trial of each.

Rob ter Linden wrote:

Caron, this fix works perfectly for all my problems.

I had bad sound in Ventrilo and all Steam games.
Now they work just great!

w00t! (sorry, have been busy and didn't get to respond, thanks for the feedback!)

Using Crossover Games 8.1.4. Trying to play L4D2.

With the original files from, audio is fine from startup, through intro movie, and at menus. It starts the static-y stuttering only once I join a game. With the replacement files the audio starts, plays for a few seconds, then volume drops off and audio stops. It comes back a second later, and keeps going off and on (but no stutters, audio is clean while it actually plays), and then the whole game crashes once the intro movie is either over or I hit escape.

I was having this problem, but after replacing the files, as stated above, everything seems good once again! Thanks!

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicDd6eGNzS1lnU3lKYXozUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9