CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

old games and Nvidia driver incompatablity

I had been running Kingpin with an ATI 1950pro card. I got a gtx260 and it stopped working. After a bit of research I found that this was a known problem not only with Kingpin but with older Quake versions, and other games running in Windows XP. One fix in Windows is to download a program called "nhancer" which allows you to set parameters in the Nvidia settings not available in their control panel. To get Kingpin to run with the newer Nvidia drivers (190. * for example) is to open enhancer, create a profile for Kinping and make the suggested adjustments including deleting the 3dfx.dll file. Another fix is re-install older Nvidia drivers like the 184 series drivers. The problem here is I suspect the drivers won't work with newer versions of Xorg.

Anyway all of this is by way of asking is there any way to do similar tweak in Linux/CrossOver so that games like Kingpin will run under the newer Nvidia drivers? Kingpin's listing as "gold" needs a bit of qualification. I'm relatively new to Linux so the answer to the driver problem may be obvious. I assume it's -no it can't be done, don't play old games. But since you folks are thinking of starting a forum for feedback from those who get games running with Crossover I thought I would raise this point here.

Hi, I have stumbled into this myself. The problem is something like that the old OpenGL games cannot handle the large amount of recent opengl extensions, resulting in buffer overflows... Or something to that effect. So the solution is to prefix the launch command eg with:

__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700

which means that the nvidia driver will report only extensions that were present in that driver version (177 in the example) to the application. This works (and is sometimes required) to native apps as well, not only for wine/crossover apps. I.e. do this:

$ __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 your_app_launch_shell_command_here

you can also add that to any desktop shortcuts you may have. You can replace that 17700 with something else too, depending on the version you want.

Hope this helps.

FYI .... from Nvidia's website...

"196.75 Alert!
We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well."

Their website (www.nvidia.com/downloads) contains instructions on how to roll-back a driver "update."

William H. Magill wrote:

"196.75 Alert!

Yes... However that refers to windows drivers, but the same applies to linux:

"We believe recent NVIDIA UNIX graphics drivers, 195.36.08 and 195.36.03, are also affected by this. Until the problem is resolved, we recommend that UNIX users revert to the 190.53 web release or the 195.30 public beta."

Personally I haven't experienced this problem, and haven't been bothered to roll-back. Maybe I should.

Thanks,

Larry

Great! The fix works for running Kingpin in a terminal in Linux but is there a fix to run it in Cross Over?

Thanks.

cackerso

As an env_var to the commandline, the only way I can think of doing
this, is if you edited the launcher script created by crossover at
game install time -- these things live in ;

~/.cxgames/[bottle_name]/desktopdata/cxmenu/Desktop.C^5E3A^5Fusers^5FPublic^5FDesktop/

In that directory will be the bash scripts created/used by crossover
to launch the game itself (desktop icons/menu items link back to the
scripts in this dir). Unfortunately I don't have a title so disposed
to really check this with, but afaik including the variable into these
launcher scripts should do the job.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

As an env_var to the commandline, the only way I can think of doing

this, is if you edited the launcher script created by crossover at
game install time

Yes, that should work.

But I always do this instead: if you have an icon for the game in your desktop (created by crossover), you can edit that instead. E.g. in linux + KDE you can right click the launch icon, select 'Properties', then 'Application' tab, and then you can prefix the launch command in 'Command' field with __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700, or whatever version you want.

I'm afraid I need a bit more help. My knowledge of Linux is limited. This is the launcher shell script for Kingpin startup on my set up that Don pointed me to:

!/bin/sh

exec "/home/cackerso/cxgames/bin/wine" --bottle "win98" --check --wait-children --start "C:/users/crossover/Start Menu/Programs/Kingpin/Kingpin - Life of Crime.lnk" "$@"

I don't have a desktop icon so I can't try the fix that Tigger suggested. So how do I use or set up "env_var"?

Do I just add a line before "exec" that reads: " $ __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=18400 " ?

184 is the version of the Nvidia driver I want to reference.

thanks,

cackeso

Larry wrote:

Do I just add a line before "exec" that reads: " $
__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=18400 " ?
cackeso

Not before that line, but on the same line, and don't include that "$". As in:

__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=18400 exec "/home/cackerso/cxgames/bin/wine" --bottle "win98" --check --wait-children --start "C:/users/crossover/Start Menu/Programs/Kingpin/Kingpin - Life of Crime.lnk" "$@" 

Thanks Tigger. It worked. Given that there is an program now at CrossOver to document fixes for problems with applications/games do you think I should let the folks there know about this so they can add it to the Kingpin info somewhere? If yes do you know how I would do it?

cackerso

Larry wrote:

Thanks Tigger. It worked. Given that there is an program now at
CrossOver to document fixes for problems with applications/games do
you think I should let the folks there know about this so they can
add it to the Kingpin info somewhere? If yes do you know how I
would do it?
cackerso

You mean that "Tips & Tricks" thingie? I'm not sure how that works. Probably you need to ask some "advocate" to add it into there, if there is one for this game. But of course you can post a link (without my permission :)) to this thread on the Kingpin forums, or something, if you think it is is useful. I myself don't even know what Kingpin is :)

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieVNVTXRHbmdFc1VYOVpLbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9