CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

Hi - I'm a newbie to both Mac, OS X and Crossover Games. I would really like some help getting Marvel Ultimate Alliance to work.

I've had troubles playing the first iteration of this game series with Crossover Games - I get to the disclaimer page before it closes due to a program error.

The error notification tells me that the program game.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. It then directs me to http://appdb.winehq.org.

This is all well and good, seeing as when I go to the page regarding this particular game, it is rewarded with a gold rating, and the version of Wine that it works best with (1.1.3). This, however, seems to be a program for Linux only. Seeing as Crossover Games is built on the Wine skeleton, though, I would wager that it could be made to work with this also.

There was a comment telling people with problems to set their winecfg to 'create virtual desktop' - I have done this (it reads slightly different in Crossover Games), but I don't really see the point - the virtual desktop is just a black window which closes down when I click on it, and having it up while running game.exe doesn't work.

I would appreciate any and all help.

Hi,

Going by the WineHQ AppDB entry, you will need to install the
directx runtime modern redistributable into the same bottle;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10661

This is available as an installation target in the cxinstaller (on Mac,
you'll to uncheck the 'hide all service packs and dependencies' in the
installer assistant preferences...

Cheers!

Tried that and doesn't work. The issue is you get the first screen then a UNEXPECTED ERROR GAME.EXE pops up and then it does nothing. Don't know what the issue is either, and yes I have update the DX and C++ Runtime.

You will probably need to gather a debug log and check through
it for possible clues/errors, that being the case...

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

You will probably need to gather a debug log and check through
it for possible clues/errors, that being the case...

Cheers!

Yeah that's what I was going to do. Once the app gets posted up Monday I will find a solution for users to help get this working. It may also be a Mac related issue as Wine post's were from Linux users.

Ok found how to get this up and running.

To install it, tell CrossOver Games to select the Setup.exe from the CD, because if you use the default CD, it uses the Flash mainscreen for what to do and CrossOver Games will just crash. So select the Setup.exe and it will install.

Now to run the game was tricky, to get this up and running, don't run from the default launcher, it seems like it will work but you will get the first logo screen then a UNEXPECTED ERROR WITH GAME.EXE and it will crash CrossOver Games, so to fix this, actually run the Game.exe from the directory itself and it will run fine.

One thing that seems to crash the game is if you try to turn on Advance Lighting, not sure if it's actually connected to the GFX installed on the OS, but be careful.

NOTE: You may also need to install the Microsoft DirectX Modern and Microsoft C++ 2005/2008 if you still can not get this to run.

If it still crashes also try setting up a Virtual Desktop under WinCFG to 800x600 or 1024x768 (or anything that fits your screen).

KNOWN ISSUES: Seems to be that the mouse issue also occurs here, it's not and issue since you can use the keyboard or a gamepad for the movement, but it does get in the way sometimes with it just hanging in the center of your screen in the Menu Screens.

Advance Lighting causes a crash.

Seems to also be a bug as in, the characters do not render at all. All you see is their shadows and Wolverines claws floating in the air making it hard to play. I will look into this more.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid2ZTWkd2UFA1U2Y5djdMRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9