CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Steam, Vista-exclusive games

I'm attempting to play the Just Cause 2 demo but the game is not compatible with Windows XP. I created a WinVista bottle but the Steam client and all the necessary components that allow it to work will not install on the Windows Vista bottle correctly. I've tried manually installing most of the components to a Windows Vista bottle (like Steam itself, XML Parser, Flash Player, DirectX modern, etc) but I can't seem to get the install of Flash Player or directX to work on the vista bottle. Simply installing the Steam client itself works fine, but when opened it says you must install Flash Player 10. If you choose to add a game to your downloads via the website, it downloads fine, but then will not launch - giving an error of incomplete installation (2). I'm assuming that's because all of the other components installed along with Steam that I mentioned above are not there.

Is there anyway to use Vista-exclusive Steam games in Crossover?

im using OSX 10.6.3, Crossover Games version 8.1.4.

Hi, let's try the new 9.0 beta. Use Crossover to install flash / directX modern etc. I don't know if just cause 2 will work, but use Crossover to install these f***KIN things =)

Another thing to try is to install Steam in the normal way to a "winxp"-type bottle. Then, use "winecfg" (via Manage Bottles > Control Panel) to set the Windows version of the bottle.

The concern is that if the game requires Vista, then it may make high-end demands of CrossOver. It might work, of course, but the newer the feature of Windows, the less mature it is in CrossOver (or the Wine technology on which it's based).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNzJObjk0eGJXdDNzZm4yeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9