CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Is there an issue with Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Macbook Pro?

Both King's Bounty, The Legend and Freedom Force VS the 3rd Reich have SERIOUS issues when I try to run them in X-over Games. THere's something about they way they handle rendering that throws them off. I haven't tried any other 3d games yet, but I'll link you to an image of what's happening.

Freedom Force:

King's Bounty

I recall someone on the form lamenting that the HD Graphics 3000 drivers for Mac via X-over are buggy and currently unreliable. Could this bugginess have something to do with my current graphical woes?

thanks for your assistance

-Greg

Here's the specs on my new Macbook Pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 2011 Model
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.68f96

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Just following up on a thread I posted this past summer. I've been noticing some activity on the King's Bounty Crossover Compatibilty page. It says that it's compatibility is 'Gold' status, but I have to say otherwise. Intel's on-board GPUs in the new Macbook Pro 13"s are not optimized for mac graphics, but I can easily get the game to run in Windows 7 boot camp mode will all the graphics settings on maximum. King's Bounty is not a graphically intensive game - but I am curious to know if the team at Codeweavers has made any further attempt to get their software optimized with intel's chip found on newer Mac 13's.

If not, I find this compatibility page should have some sort of warning that says the game will NOT run on a Macbook pro with an Intel integrated graphics board.

Has there been any improvement with the integrated Intel Graphics drivers on new Macbook Pros 13"?

if not, [b]Caveat emptor
[/b]

Inadequacies with Intel GPU chipsets and 3d Games in Crossover boil down to the drivers for the cards on the Mac, as you've noted, and I'm afraid that there really isn't much that we can do. Crossover works by translating the windows d3d calls to openGL, and then sends those calls to your graphics driver for rendering.

The drivers for the Intel GPU's on Mac are weaker than their windows counterparts (which of course are optimized for d3d), and often don't support all of the openGL extensions that are being used to provide the "translation" for the game, which results in hideous errors.

I know that this situation sucks for users with Intel GPU's, but our hands are mostly tied. With Mac-native games like WoW you can program the game to adjust itself when it detects insufficiency in your driver/card and still play well. Crossover, however, is limited to translating the code sent by the game, and cannot scale down the function calls in the way that is done by native apps.

It is possible that the updates that Apple roll out might improve this or is the issue directly with Intel's driver support on OSX?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickJmYk1wRzQ4TTJTWWZSOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9