CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Game Install Issue. Call of Duty: World at war

Operating Macbook Pro.

I am using the free trial of Crossover Games. I'm trying to decide between it and just using bootcamp. However first game I install wont work. Not looking good so far.

I installed the whole came without any error messages but when I attempt to play multyplayer it tells me "error during initalization: Unhandeled exception caught".

If I atempt to laod singleplayer it simply asks me to insert the correct disk, even though I have.

I have now re enstalled the whole game five times, from each of the differnt install things (which by the way are quite confussing as when you start you have no idea whether to do the first one, the second or the 'bottle' one.) Every attempt at instalation has the same result.

I havn't tryed any other games yet but im strongly leaning towrds Bootcamp at the moment since I cant get my faverut game to even work properly.

Please help, if this issue can be resolved easily then the merits of thw two are still up for debate.

Thank you.

Looking first to the compatibility center entry for CoD: WaW -

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=5174

Notice that underneath the big, "Silver-unsupported" medal, there's a smaller section that says "CD/DVD Release - Known not to work".

A working medal (bronze, silver, or gold) combined with a "known not to work" for the CD/DVD means that the CD/DVD comes with copy protection (or DRM - Digital Rights Management) that doesn't work in Crossover. Many DRM systems install drivers that hook into the base of the operating system, and then verify with the game disc when you play. Crossover cannot "fake" the presence of windows for device drivers, and so the check fails and the error you'll usually see is something along the lines of "you need to insert the game disc", which you're seeing when you attempt single-player.

It is usually possible to get around this provided that it is legal in your jurisdiction. In some locales it is legal to circumvent copy-protection with software that you legitimately own, and there is a wealth of information out there on how to do so.

However, due to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) doing so is not legal where our offices are located, and we cannot provide you with any assistance pertaining to such an action.

Good luck.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQUZrMmZHS25NcVFTYVhVWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9