CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

More fullscreen woes (Mac OSX menu bar)

I don't think this is an isolated problem, as a quick search of various compatibility forums turned up a few similar cases (RIFT was one). In my case, starting a Steam game (Oblivion) at fullscreen 1280x800 brings up the game as normal, except that the OSX menu bar is visible. My native laptop resolution is also 1280x800.

The strange thing is, the video doesn't appear to be squashed. I had a similar issue with Mount & Blade Warband, but the window was lacking in focus, and after a bit of tinkering and clicking the window to ensure focus, it has since had no issues.

Tinkering and setting Oblivion in winecfg to use the same sort of settings as Warband has not yielded any results, however. I have tried various winecfg settings: disabling the window manager decorations, disabling window manager control, disabling virtual desktop (which I had set to 1280x800). Disabling all three. Trying each by themselves. Enabling all. No combination appears to have any difference. Some combinations, however, seem to make it impossible to skip the company logos startup videos--only when the main menu appears can I use 'escape.' Another oddity is that it appears to behave as it is in fullscreen: trying to point my cursor out of the game window, to the menu bar is impossible. The cursor will not leave the edge between the game screen and the menu bar, even though the setting to prevent the mouse from leaving the window is unchecked. CMD+F or CMD+Enter, which tend to be fullscreen/windowed toggles, do nothing to change the window.

Any ideas on a fix or if this is an isolated issue?

My specs, should they be necessary, are as follows:

Late 2009(?) Aluminum Unibody Macbook
Mac OSX 10.6.8
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067MHz DDR3
Nvidia GeForce 9400M

This is not an isolated issue. I believe issue is that CrossOver doesn't do full-screen the way that's usual for X11. Wine is presumably setting a property on the window that indicates to the window manager that it should be full-screen, but quartz-wm doesn't really understand that property nor does it have the ability to hide the menu bar or Dock without cooperation from the server. (I invite any listening developers to step in and correct me, here...)

As far as in-practice solutions - I find that this can usually be fixed by tweaking the fullscreen resolution of the game, itself. For instance, my iMac's fullscreen resolution is 1900x1200. When playing RIFT in fullscreen mode, it defaults to 1900x1178, and in this mode I get the dock and OS X menu bar. Hiding the dock and going into settings, if I then adjust the resolution to 1900x1200 (the "true" resolution), or 1600x1000, the dock and menu bar disappear (though I then have to re-start RIFT because the mouse cursor position is off thanks to the resolution re-set).

Nathan F wrote:

I don't think this is an isolated problem, as a quick search of
various compatibility forums turned up a few similar cases (RIFT was
one). In my case, starting a Steam game (Oblivion) at fullscreen
1280x800 brings up the game as normal, except that the OSX menu bar
is visible. My native laptop resolution is also 1280x800.

The strange thing is, the video doesn't appear to be squashed. I had
a similar issue with Mount & Blade Warband, but the window was
lacking in focus, and after a bit of tinkering and clicking the
window to ensure focus, it has since had no issues.

Tinkering and setting Oblivion in winecfg to use the same sort of
settings as Warband has not yielded any results, however. I have
tried various winecfg settings: disabling the window manager
decorations, disabling window manager control, disabling virtual
desktop (which I had set to 1280x800). Disabling all three. Trying
each by themselves. Enabling all. No combination appears to have any
difference. Some combinations, however, seem to make it impossible
to skip the company logos startup videos--only when the main menu
appears can I use 'escape.' Another oddity is that it appears to
behave as it is in fullscreen: trying to point my cursor out of the
game window, to the menu bar is impossible. The cursor will not
leave the edge between the game screen and the menu bar, even though
the setting to prevent the mouse from leaving the window is
unchecked. CMD+F or CMD+Enter, which tend to be fullscreen/windowed
toggles, do nothing to change the window.

Any ideas on a fix or if this is an isolated issue?

My specs, should they be necessary, are as follows:

Late 2009(?) Aluminum Unibody Macbook
Mac OSX 10.6.8
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067MHz DDR3
Nvidia GeForce 9400M

...this issue beset the Mac here in coincidence with a MacOS update (perhaps just after 10.6.7 sometime)
and a crossover rev at around the same time -- it didn't affect all Macs but certainly some of them,
and both ati & nvidia fitted Macs could recreate it ; unfortunately, none of the codeweavers devs could
recreate the issue consistently, so the actual cause was never made clear...

.... anyhow, long story short -- with the MacOS 10.7.x update, the issue seemingly resolved itself here,
on an 11,2 iMac with HD5670 video. I temper that observation with the fact that, once again, the 10.7.x
MacOS release coincided with a crossover rev targeting that OS increment, so I am still 'none the wiser'
as to the exact cause of it all...

...and, in any event, I no longer care -- my whole experience with MacOS was underwhelming at best, and
I'm finding the 11,2 iMac is a more competent machine running debian6, and so that's what I do -- as I no
longer have to put up with Apple bugs (or try and guess whether they exist or not =)...

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM3Y4bUF3c2RNaExXVVlZQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9