CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

WOW Launcher Crashing

I'm trying to install World of Warcraft on my Ubuntu 10.04 box. I've installed it and played on this same computer running the same version of Ubuntu before. In fact, I was able to have it install perfectly a couple of days ago. I wanted to put one of my bigger HDDs in the computer, so I did and re-installed.

Now, when I try to install WOW, it makes it through the initial install and the WOW Launcher is started. It downloads and updates the "new required tools". Once this finished, it relaunches, begins to download the game files, but after a few seconds I get a dialogue box telling me that Launcher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. The Launcher actually stays up. I can click around and change options, but the download stops. If I close out and reopen it, the same thing happens again.

Is this because of an update? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi,

...the apparent logic here is that this (install) error manifest itself
-after- you fitted the larger drive ..and.. I guess when you say "so I
did and re-installed", you mean reinstalled the OS? Apart from the fact
you wouldn't really need to do that, the error suggests that it -could-
be free drivespace related ... on the other hand, I'm not sure if that's
what you're talking about ... you'd have to clarify exactly what it is
you have done here...

...for the record, you'll do much better asking about WoW related problems,
in the C4 forum for this title...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7714

..somehow though, I doubt it's WoW related as such...something else is
going on me thinks. Also, which version of crossover are you using?...

Cheers!

Well, I'll make a quick reply here and maybe start a new thread where you suggested.

I didn't mean to be confusing. For simplicity, the computer I most recently tried installing WOW on is the same computer I have done so in the past. This time, however, I'm getting the error every time the WOW launcher is started. It will run for a few seconds and then I get the error about it having a problem and needing to close.

I'm using version 10.0.0.

UPDATE:
I found a archive I did of WOW once before. I installed from that. When the launcher came up, it tried to start downloading updates and then did the same thing as from the fresh install... I've re-installed Crossover as well. I just don't know what could be happening.

It looks like I have the same kind of problem. I am playing WOW for a year or longer without any major problems. However, with the latest WOW patch (arrived today), the launcher abends when it try to install the patch.

This is a known issue. The latest World of Warcraft patch has made the World of Warcraft launcher/patcher unstable. Users will see it begin to download the patch and then give an error message. From here on out, the launcher is no longer patching (unlike other instances where this has happened but the patcher continues in the background).

The workaround is to quit the bottle (which you can do within Manage Bottles) or the launcher.exe process, itself, and then restart it. Eventually, it will pull down enough of the patch that WOW can be launched (via WOW.exe, using Crossover's Run a Windows Command tool) and the game can finish patching while the user plays.

We're working on it, and will be posting more info as its available.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUFFTZm1oZWhRaGtIZFpKVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9