CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Fedora 16 CXG install questions

Just loaded my rig up with F16, and went thru cxdiag to see what I needed to install to fulfill all dependencies, and this is what I needed:

yum install -y openal-soft-1.12.854-2.fc15.i686 lcms-libs-1.19-4.fc16.i686 libXcursor-1.1.11-3.fc15.i686 jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.7-2.fc16.i686 libXinerama-1.1.1-2.fc15.i686 libXcomposite-0.4.3-2.fc15.i686 libmpg123-1.12.3-1.fc14.i686 mesa-libGLU-7.11-8.fc16.i686 nas-libs-1.9.2-2.fc15.i686 isdn4k-utils-3.2-79.fc16.i686 gsm-1.0.13-2.fc12.i686 openldap-2.4.26-5.fc16.i686 openssl-devel.i686

Now, that leaves a few things leftover:

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

Now, I do recall that libtiff is not needed in the slightest, but hal is another story. I do recall reading that Red Hat and the Fedora team have finally killed off HAL, but is this going to be an issue? I still have to import all my bottles, which even with my automation script, is going to take forever (nearly 700G of crap ... umm I mean games :P ), so I figured I would ask first before going nuts and pulling my hair out.

Thanks,
Andrew.

--edit--
BTW, for those interested, I ran into some real pain trying out btrfs, so don't unless you are a real eager adventurer. I had my FS go nuts less than 12 hrs later. So technically this is my second install, this time on ext4 again, like previous Fedora installs. Figured I would throw that one out there just in case someone was wondering :P

We haven't yet upgraded to Fedora 16, so I'm not quite sure how much a problem the absence of Hal will be. I'll be upgrading after the Thanksgiving holiday.

I'm hoping that the absence of libhal1 is just a minor annoyance for now - if nothing else you should be able to manually map a drive letter to a USB device or CD within wine configuration>drives. Keep us posted with your findings!

Thanks for the heads up. Although I have everything installed, I haven't done squat yet other than:

1) Backup and load a fresh install of F16
2) Unarchive my bottles
3) Update STO, DDO, and LotRO and maybe Steam.
4) Ask that question above.

I have had barely enough time lately to do any personal computing, just work and occasionally sleep :D Got two new guns I haven't gotten to the range to shoot for 3 months now :( I am calling this weekend a work free weekend. In fact, I am installing Desura now, and will get Desura tested under CXG too (for them non native games). Any grief I run into will be posted.

I have noticed that sticking with mainstream distros is safe with you guys, but Fedora can be a little TOO bleeding edge on occasion. Glad to see you are at least trying to keep up with them :D Worst case -- I play with the new OpenSUSE 12.1. Its got my beloved GNOME 3 :P

Take care, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

OK, the migration from F15 to F16 was jacked on my side which caused somehow some bottle corruption. But with some reinstalls, all malfunctioning bottles are redone, and working perfectly. For those that run into any oddities, I am going to detail my issues so peeps can search and find the simple (although a PITA) fix of rebuilding the bottle.

For Star Trek Online, I had no rendering of the world or characters/ships. It was just whitespace.

For Lord of the Rings Online, I was authenticating, but not able to play.

I jerked around trying DX related fixes, but I think there was a malformed config or registry file somewhere that just was too sneaky to allow finding.

That said, F16 works as far as I can tell, perfectly.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRlJVcjg5RW50Z1hmUVNtSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9