CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

How many bottles ?

Hello guys !

I'm finally trying out the demo for Crossover Games for Mac. I'm tired of Parallels and furthermore, I have very poor results in FPS for example.

So, I just started a few hours ago, and managed to install Steam without any glitch. After that, I tried Company of Heroes. Great, it works, and I gain a hell of FPS. I had a really poor framerate around 10fps under parallels, and now with Crossover I have around 60 to 80 fps... That's awesome !

After that I installed another old game I own : World in Conflict. Ouch, that one didn't worked and I had to tweak a little bit directx but finally managed to get it working. Same stuff there, where in Parallels I have a poor max frames at around 27fps and a minimum at 2,3 fps, I now have a 60 max and 28 minimum... Great deal !

I wanted to play a little more on Company of Heroes so, tried to start it all over... And... ouch, it is not working anymore... Probably due to the changes I made on Directx ?

So my main question is : should I make 1 bottle per game with Steam installed (i own them all on steam) ?

Secondary objective (ouch, I played to much :p) : eventually, how do you guys manage to set Crossover Games in Full Screen ? I hate playing windowed... But didn't found any topics on it, nor google results...

Thanks heavily for your support, and even thinking of buying this one... Nice perfs, it is awesome ! Better than Parallels !

I am not surprised you are getting better FPS in CrossOver Games. As you probably know, the virtualization programs like Parallels and VMWare have to emulate your video card. Because of how CrossOver works, it can get access to your actual video card.

As far as your question, I would create a separate bottle whenever you have to do a tweak like you did for World of Conflict. I tend to have a separate bottle for each game. I only have one Steam bottle though. However, I have not had to tweak the bottle at all to get my very few Steam games to run.

As far as fullscreen goes, normally I can simply check the option in the program. However, sometimes you may have to do something special in order for it to work. I would check the forum for the game that you want to run in fullscreen mode. You can do that by setting your search to Compatibility and typing in the name of the game that you want to run in fullscreen. There might be tricks and tips listed or a forum post that gives you what you need. It can vary from game to game.

The AppDB at winehq.org can be a good source of information as well.

Bob

Thank you for the explanation and the answers !

I think I found out why my games were windowed and not full screen. The first game I installed was Company of Heroes. To do so, I followed the details in the forum of the game (yeap, I checked that before asking elsewhere :p). It was working all right, but I found a parameter that was forcing the windowed game. So for anyone else not knowing this (as noob as I am lol), do not activate the forced windows setting desktop in the parameters. Leaving it unchecked make the game full screen.

So, that's really nice !

Thanks for the advice for the different bottles. Now I have both game installed and working... (even though I sometimes have a complete crash of the mac when I leave one, and start the other one without leaving Crossover Games.

Thanks ! (Now, I'll test if Medieval 2 has the nice gain in the graphics as the other two 😀)

Vampyre wrote:

Hello guys !

So my main question is : should I make 1 bottle per game with Steam
installed (i own them all on steam) ?

Up to you. Don here does from what I recall him saying. I don't. I got all however many (alot mind you) in one ginormous nearing 1TB bottle.

Vampyre wrote:

Secondary objective (ouch, I played to much :p) : eventually, how do
you guys manage to set Crossover Games in Full Screen ? I hate
playing windowed... But didn't found any topics on it, nor google
results...

Thanks heavily for your support, and even thinking of buying this
one... Nice perfs, it is awesome ! Better than Parallels !

Well I am on linux, but there are two main ways to handle it -- depending on the game.

If you go into your game and it gets antsy when you go fullscreen, the approach I found that works is to do the following:

1) Go into manage bottles -> Control Panel -> Wine Configuration
2) Select the Graphics tab
3) Tick the bottom box for Emulate Virtual Desktop and then set it to your desktop size (native screen size, for me its 1920x1080)
4) Hit OK, and then run Simulate Reboot.

Now, for Steam stuff, I don't do this (on Linux that is, dont run this on my Mac much anymore as its old and weak compared to my new quad i7 setup). I do use this on DDO, Lotro, and a few others that escape my mind to manage the quirkiness of the game engine and alt tabbing to Teamspeak. Frankly, all the games go fullscreen for me, but don't like resizing or losing focus all the time.

HTH,
Andrew.

Hi....

....there's nothing wrong with having multiple bottles (Steam or otherwise),
but I have discovered that somewhere around 70bottles, using the bottle manager
becomes a bit strained (or upgrading wherein all bottles get scanned) ; hopefully
nobody has/creates 70 bottles in typical usage... =)

...with Steam bottles, there is one sure 'need' area -- those steamapps that
absolutely require 'emulated virtual desktop' enabled. That setting, has to apply
to the entire Steam bottle...ie; you can't disable it for a Steam bottle, and
enable it for just one steamapp in that bottle - it won't work. Although there's
not many steamapps so disposed, it does save a bit of time/mucking around if you
have 2 Steam bottles ; one with emulated virtual desktop enabled and the other not...

...there can, of course, be other reasons for having multiple Steam bottles, not
least of which being personal choice, and ultimately all it's going to do is use
up more diskspace =)

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWDdRVXFQV25Nc2hDZFZQRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9