CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Upgrading to 10.3 - can I keep the same bottle .. or what

All,

I bought 10.1 a long time ago, and surprisingly had pretty good results with it. FPS and compatibility was always way better than the wine packages I tried - even with the configuration the exact same. Well worth the license cost to avoid booting windows.

Anyway, I just upgraded from 10.1 to 10.3. My question is - what exactly from the old bottle can I reuse? It does show up in the list in cxsetup due to the same ~/.cxgames

A) nothing at all - create a new bottle from scratch, reinstall steam, restore games from steams backup & restore (redownload would take days)

B) all good - just point to the old bottle and it will work (hopefully even better).

I guess i'm just not sure what exactly crossover provides. Is it just the wine layer in my linux directories, or is it windows type stuff inside the C: of the bottle, or both?

well I figured "lets just try option B" .. and did

mv ~/apps/cxgames ~/apps/cxgames-10.1
ln -s ~/apps/cxgames-10.3 ~/apps/cxgames

and I am using the launcher .lnk files inside the old bottle, which effectively point now to the new binaries in the 10.3 directory. Everything seems to work the same. So I guess then it's purely a question of is there any old stuff in this bottle and I would be better served by creating a new one. ?

Hi...

...I really do not know why you are doing what you are
doing ; it's pretty much un-needed all told, but I can
see you're confusing the 'cxgames' directory, with a
bottle directory..ie; you haven't touched any bottles
yet afaict...

...more-overly, your procedure is out of step with
'normal practices' -- that is to say, the proper procedure
here would be to back (make cxarchive) of your bottle(s),
and upgrade/replace the crossover installation. That, will
upgrade the bottle configs/registry as needed at the same
time. Should something go wrong with that process, and/or
the newer crossover version creates some problem for you,
you can fall back to the previous position via the bottle
archives created...

..with Steam usage in crossover, you need to adopt some
usage strategy to account for various things. The first
thing to do imho, is once you download a new steamapp,
immediately backup the game files from within the Steam UI,
before you even start the game. That way you end up with
a pristine installation backup of the steamapp, to avoid
having to download the files again. I copy these (many..)
Steam backup files onto an external harddrive...

...there -have- been cases (proven) wherein a crossover
upgrade (or steam patch) requires a total reinstallation
of the game files. Although rare, the only way to fix
such is often to create a new steam bottle and restore
the game from steam backup. Due to this idiosyncrasy, it
can often be a waste of time using crossover to create
a cxarchive of a steam bottle...if not because of the
sheer size of that bottle (many steam apps installed),
then because crossover has changed in some way, that
requires the game be installed with the newer bottle setup...

...I think you're just coming at things the wrong way
more than anything else ; you're actually making it
harder on yourself I think =)...

Cheers!

"you're actually making it
harder on yourself I think =)..."

I'm not sure if you understand what i did...

I'm using the 10.3 binaries in cxgames/bin/ to run my bottle that I built using 10.1 at .cxgames/Steam/

basically you are saying I want to create a new bottle using the 10.3 cxsetup and ditch the old bottle, because there are changes from 10.3 inside of .cxgames/steam/drive_c/ .. which I guess is ultimately what I don't know and what I am asking: if i make a bottle using 10.1 and compare the drive_c directory with another one that I've built using 10.3, are there any differences in that directory or not?

john@P-host ~ $ ls -lH apps
total 412
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john john     12 Jan 12 19:26 cxgames -> cxgames-10.3
drwxr-xr-x 8 john john   4096 Apr 16  2011 cxgames-10.1
drwxr-xr-x 8 john john   4096 Jan 12 19:16 cxgames-10.3
john@P-host ~ $ ls -lH .cxgames
total 24
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john john   10 Jan 12 22:27 Steam -> Steam-10.1
drwxr-xr-x 6 john john 4096 Jan 12 20:00 Steam-10.1
drwxr-xr-x 2 john john 4096 Jan 12 22:27 Steam-10.3

Do I need to build the contents of Steam-10.3 and repoint the symlink

OK I re-read your post and i'm digging for the normal update procedures using cxarchive as you first suggested. I must have missed that paragraph. :P Thanks

Er, you don't need to touch ~/.cxgames at all when you upgrade from Crossover Games 10.1 to 10.3. You can copy ~/.cxgames someplace else if you want to keep it as a backup but it's not necessary.

Crossover Game's binaries are stored in ~/cxgames or /opt/cxgames and are totally separate from the config files and installed Windows apps in ~/.cxgames.

Just install the newer version of Crossover Games, fire it up, it'll update the bottles, and it's good to go.

OK. Thanks to both of you. I kind of figured that out over the past few days =)

john.newman wrote:

OK. Thanks to both of you. I kind of figured that out over the
past few days =)

The trick/tip I use is to backup any critical bottles using the export feature. I do this actually for two reasons -- safety net, and since I do reinstall each Fedora release, its nice to have backups for reimporting when that 6mo cycle rears its head.

Just backup.
Upgrade CXG
Updating of the bottle is automatic when that bottle is first used, so just launch the game.
See what happens. Usually (99%) you won't run into an issue. But occasionally there are special fixes that are put in place until a point release can be made with the corrections in place. Star Trek Online was one of them when they switched to a funky MS IE version for the patcher. In that case I rebuilt my bottle. It was best, as I had what seemed like endless problems on the one computer I didn't do it on.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQkNGYjdiRUpmNUhGYlVzSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9