CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

The future of CrossOver Games concerning DRM

Hi everyone,

First let me start off by saying that everyone here is doing an outstanding job. The complexity of a project like this is amazing and I am glad that I am able to see this type of stuff transfold.

A question that is preventing me from purchasing the program though is the DRM issue. While I am not looking for a no-cd crack or anything along those lines, is this going to prevent future games from working on CrossOver? Specifically in mind, I am thinking of the new Command and Conquer Generals 2 games. But if it won't work on crossover, then I don't want to waste your time with my support requests.

If there is anything that is not allowed to be discussed in here, please inbox me it. I just want to be sure that I will be able to play the new games on this. I really like having linux on my laptop. I will be building a new desktop soon and I am debating on if I should have linux+crossover or just a partition with windows.

Thanks

vande700 wrote:

Hi everyone,

First let me start off by saying that everyone here is doing an
outstanding job. The complexity of a project like this is amazing
and I am glad that I am able to see this type of stuff transfold.

A question that is preventing me from purchasing the program though
is the DRM issue. While I am not looking for a no-cd crack or
anything along those lines, is this going to prevent future games
from working on CrossOver? Specifically in mind, I am thinking of
the new Command and Conquer Generals 2 games. But if it won't work
on crossover, then I don't want to waste your time with my support
requests.

If there is anything that is not allowed to be discussed in here,
please inbox me it. I just want to be sure that I will be able to
play the new games on this. I really like having linux on my laptop.
I will be building a new desktop soon and I am debating on if I
should have linux+crossover or just a partition with windows.

Thanks

This question really depends on your platform (Mac or Linux) and the type of DRM protection (disk based DRMS).

If the DRM protection is disk based it has a higher chance than ever of working, if the platform is Linux the chances get even better (although some additional tweaks to tell CrossOver where the disk is may be necessary). Basically a Mac in this situation will either work or not work depending on what's used; Linux will work, have a chance of working with some help from the user via CrossOver or not work.

If the DRM protection is web based there are many other variables involved and the only thing we can suggest is to try... if it doesn't work, let us know. And, if it doesn't work, see what the entry for the application in our database or the database of applications at WineHQ has to say.

As far as what is and is not okay to say here... the basics are listed below the text portion when you go to create a forum post:

The Fine Print:

Please try to keep posts on topic.  
Please refrain from the mention of DRM circumvention, such as 'no-cd patches'.*  
HTML is not allowed in posts, and will be stripped out.  
This is not a support forum. If you need product support use our Support Ticket System.  
Try to reply to other people's comments instead of starting new threads.  
Read other people's messages before posting your own to avoid simply duplicating what has already been said.  
Use a clear subject that describes what your message is about.  
Do not post entire log files here. Please trim them down to only the important lines.

Beyond that, it is common sense, "Don't spam the forums" and "Treat others with respect" are important.

Is this still an issue? I have to admit, I have mostly been playing MMO's and games purchased via Steam and Desura as of lately. And I have been diligent in ensuring that unless the game is so cheap that it doesn't matter, it works via Wine/CXG some reasonably well way. But I haven't noticed any of my few CD/DVD based games giving me any grief. Hence I must ask -- is this still an issue?

Sorry for the slow response

This came to mind when I was running the trial and I was trying to install command and conquer first decade. The tips and tricks were not clear to me as though this game would be supported so it got me to thinking that if companies are going to be using some form of DRM, would it prevent the use of cx in general?

I do have a question about how DRM really works. If there is any admin tha would care to inbox me, that would be extremely appreciated.

As a student, I want to get this to work because I want to encourage people to start using linux over Windows. The main barrier that I am running into is the lack of gaming support.

Thanks everyone and cheers

vande700 wrote:

Sorry for the slow response

This came to mind when I was running the trial and I was trying to
install command and conquer first decade. The tips and tricks were
not clear to me as though this game would be supported so it got me
to thinking that if companies are going to be using some form of
DRM, would it prevent the use of cx in general?

• Caron has already answered this above ; it depends on the DRM being used -- the scope of the topic
    area is too big for a forum posting - you need understand the DRM software itself, how it is typically
    implemented, and which level of the DRM implementation the publisher has chosen to go with -- for example,
    I -think- there are over 7 differing levels of the 'Securom 5' DRM suite (and I think there's 3 or 4
    different levels that can be used in the CD/DVD case)....

vande700 wrote:

I do have a question about how DRM really works. If there is any
admin tha would care to inbox me, that would be extremely
appreciated.

• it is the nature of DRM software, regardless of type, to be covert, hidden, and near impossible to obtain
    technical details of how it actually works -- the reason is quite obvious ; if this information was 'open'
    or it's designers gave away particulars of how it worked, the software could/would be rendered useless, as
    the information would allow people to easily circumvent it. Ergo, the only information available 'out there',
    is that data/observations made by people trying to 'reverse engineer' the DRM mechanism, which typically always
    starts off at the hardware level -- search the 'net with the phrase 'how [word] does DRM work?' - [word] might
    be replaced by online ; CD ; Securom ...whatever ; start reading...

vande700 wrote:

As a student, I want to get this to work because I want to encourage
people to start using linux over Windows. The main barrier that I am
running into is the lack of gaming support.

...??...I have over 500 win32 titles running in linux via winetech ; I see no barriers -- that said, there
are some DRM systems that still don't work (I know which) ; I avoid them. Also, do not confuse DRM with so
called 'root kits' like GameGuard and the like ; these things are different animals ; such root-kits are
unlikely to -ever- work in wine, because they rely on proprietary system calls part of a real win32 kernel.
My short answer advice to you is 3 words long - 'do not bother', especially with disc based DRM ; you'll
waste years of your student life in the endeavor, and nobody will really care either way..

*disc DRM is very unlikely to ever work in OSX unless the Apple scsi driver is replaced be something else

*what disc based games I have, which include disc based DRM, I've since replaced with digital download type
versions, be they delivered by Steam, Impulse, Gamefly or as a direct download. The discs don't work (DRM);
the digital versions do work with the online version of the DRM -- that simple.

*you would need to study/understand the linux kernel/driver layer first, then study understand how winetech
interacts with that, before you'll get anywhere near a 'solution' to handle DRM issues -- learn the first 2
courses ; come back to DRM beyond that...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoienFXS2t4QVpaYmZDa1NYYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9