CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

DirectX 9

I can't seem to run anything in DirectX 9, it is incredibly slow and full of lag, but then I change to DirectX 8.1, and everything runs perfectly. Is there an explanation for this?

I was just wondering this because I'm thinking of buying Left 4 Dead 2, but it says on the Steam spec page that I need DirectX 9. I have proper specs for it (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM), and I'm able to run other games that run on the Source engine perfectly (thanks to you guys!) but I just want to know what is going on before I get this game, if I am even able to run it.

Thanks if you can help me with this, so far the product has worked great by the way, I'm really pleased with the results.

Wesley Jacobs wrote:

I can't seem to run anything in DirectX 9, it is incredibly slow and
full of lag, but then I change to DirectX 8.1, and everything runs
perfectly. Is there an explanation for this?

I was just wondering this because I'm thinking of buying Left 4 Dead
2, but it says on the Steam spec page that I need DirectX 9. I have
proper specs for it (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM), and I'm
able to run other games that run on the Source engine perfectly
(thanks to you guys!) but I just want to know what is going on
before I get this game, if I am even able to run it.

Thanks if you can help me with this, so far the product has worked
great by the way, I'm really pleased with the results.

for one, a intel core 2 duo and 2gb ram isn't proper specs, like it or not, most games rely on the GPU, what graphics card do you have?

Whoops, my bad. GMA X3100 (144 MB VRAM, also). I am fully aware that the X3100 is not fully supported, but other games that ran on the Source engine worked perfectly, which is why I decided to ask anyway.

its not your fault, its not a powerful card, keep that in mind. as in it won't be able to run most of the newer games.

Yeah as corey said, your card aint up to par. Also keep in mind that their are several versions of the source engine: The hl2 version, the tf2 version (which is more advanced) and the l4d/l4d2 versions (which are even more advanced)

All versions (except the L4D versions) support dx 7, 8, 8.1, 9, etc.

Bacially you need a new graphics card (especially since you only have 144 mb vram... 256 is standard these days and 512 is preferred for high end stuff. )

@WesleyJacobs, can i suggest either buying a pre-built rig, or start saving up for a gaming rig which you can build yourself, then just slap linux or something on it and play with crossover

Thanks a bunch! That's all I needed to know.

@Corey
Well, uh, if I was to build a gaming rig I would no longer need to really use Crossover, I would just keep my MacBook and install Windows on the gaming desktop. However, I'm a bit short on money so I thought Crossover would be better for now, as the price is fairly modest. Probably one day I will get motivated and tech-savvy enough to build one, but not today. I'll just be playing the Orange Box. A lot.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0V1ejJndTR6Z1JHbllzSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9