CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

CrossOver Mac vs CrossOver Games

My apologies if this question has been duplicated. I used the search function, but could not find what I was looking for. Oh well, here goes...

I am VERY interested in purchasing this product. I am an expectant father of a new 27" iMac (waiting on the shipping) and will want to load at least one of my games from my windows box (the game is Jade Dynasty and is listed as Supported - Silver medal).

Question: Is there a performance advantage to using the CrossOver Games version over the CrossOver Mac version?

I would prefer the CrossOver Mac version as it will support applications as well as games, but if there is a significant performance hit, I think I will opt for the Games specific one.

Thanks.

Hi,

Some games work in normal crossover -- another games require the specific 'under
the bonnet tweaks' that are part of the crossover-games release...

The only real way to find out for sure, is to download the crossover and crossover-games
demos, and try Jade Dynasty in both releases, noting any differences that may become
apparent -- there are too many variables to accurately predict the result here, so it's
best you try this yourself on the specific machine/OS/videocard setup you have (or will have..:)

Cheers!

I'd suggest doing what Don suggested and try both as you may be satisfied with Crossover, but here's also a snippet from one of the Support Ninjas on Pro vs. Games:

"Crossover Games has quite a few patches and hacks specific to a number of supported, graphically intensive games. You will experience worse performance for many games in Pro. Likewise, CX Games will handle MS Office, Quicken, and the like noticeably worse than CX games.

I recommend using CX Games for games, and CX Pro for non-gaming applications. Each installs and uses its own bottles, and you'll want to leave it that way for optimal performance."

See thread: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;forumcurPos=50;msg=63013

Hi,

Just a bit more on this - I notice Jade Dynasty actually has an installation
target in crossover-games (that isn't available in standard/pro crossover) and this
will hoist a flag in my mind that some of the 'under bonnet tweaks' I mention would
definitely seem to apply to Jade Dynasty wrt crossover-games.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the speedy replies, that answers my questions. 😊

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVnpkR1ZSaDd4TWFmVHY4eSIsImdkcHIiOjB9