CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Do I Not Have Enough Ram?

I know i asked this question and got a lot of answers, but some said to do it and some didnt. So I took a screenshot of Left 4 Dead 2 with acitivity monitor open. I was lagging when I was playing. Is this bad, should I get 6gb of ram? [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/10shifs.png[/IMG]

Not trying to be mean here, but I'd say just go buy the RAM, it sounds like you're not going to be satisfied until you do. You're looking to justify something you want to do :).

Actually....although the screenshot could be misleading (there's not really a
lot of detail), I can see this machine is out to 1.7Gb of swap? If that's active
swap pages used (like in the linux case), the machine is woefully short of ram,
and it would need another 2gb to 'get above' he base system footprint usage.
Just -why- it's going out to that much swap is another thing...ie; I have 3gb
ram, with mysql/mythtv/browser active in the background, and even with the biggest
of games I don't see my swapfile above 100kb typically...

Mind you, this may mean nothing -- I don't use Mac and the figure may need be
interpreted relative to the Mac way of handling things....but...if I saw a linux
memory pool statement that said '1.7gb of used swapfile' my immediate suggestion
would be 'install 2gb more of ram to get above your system footprint'...like I say
though, someone who really knows the Mac architecture/OS should comment to be sure...

Haha, dont think your being mean, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to make sure it was the ram and not crossover games fault because i didnt think it was. i dont know what any of that stuff means on the activity monitor, but i guess im behind by like 2gb of ram which isnt good lol. I'm going to upgrade to the 6gb of ram as soon as i get the money to buy it lol.

@Don, it shows 513MB inactive which to me means that's what he has available....and no I don't consider myself a Mac expert. I use it like a tool...or a toy :).

@Anthony...at this point you've got opinions on both sides of the fence. Personally....I always like more memory only because it lets me keep a lot of things open at the same time. I'm just leery of saying you need the memory when I'm not sure you do. It isn't like its cheap memory :).

Yeah, I know that lol. The weird thing is though it sed i had used 1.98 gb of my 2gb of ram that i had lol.

Yep, silly question....but what does it say when you first boot up with nothing loaded? My MacBook says its got 3.8GB used but I'm not surprised as I have Fusion and a number of other things going at the same time but when booted with nothing I think it says 1GB or so for me.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU1FZSEdCWkhRQTJNZjhlUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9