CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Running games installed on Windows partition?

I was planning of installing Guild Wars on my Windows partition and was wondering if I can access it on my OSX with CrossOver Games. I know it runs really well with this thing so having both options available would be really great.

I couldn't find any documentation if this is even possible so anyone could direct me to the right direction?

Hello, sorry for the wait. It seems no one has taken the time to reply, so I will. So, you are asking whether you can install Guild Wars on a windows partition and access the application through Cross Over Games, correct? I will wait for your reply before I can further assess your question.

I just realized this thread was made over a month ago, I'm sorry for the necro. Although, if the OP is still in need of help, I'll be glad to assist him/her.

This is very much not recommended. When trying to run a program that rests on a windows partition and filesystem, Crossover will be unable to write to that partition, which will cause all sorts of problems. In the long run it's much easier to just install GW in Crossover Games on your Mac partition.

Some Windows games install additional packages or create some registry settings which won't be available for Wine - so they may or may not run under Wine.

As for the inability of wine to write to an NTFS partition - that's not entirely true if you buy Paragon NTFS for Mac.

I've done this several times actually. Guildwars installs very little when it comes to files. So, if I'm dual booting, and I have the full fledge GuildWars installed on my Windows partition, all I do is this:

Using crossover, install Guildwars like you normally would. When it gets to the point where its starts downloading the data through the client, stop it. Next, browse to the directory where Guildwars was installing to (probably somewhere in ~/.cxgames), and find and delete the "Gw.dat" file, this is the file with all the content. Next, make a symlink to your Gw.dat file on your windows partition with something like "ln -s /media/WINDOWS/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars/Gw.dat ."

Most modern linux distributions will automount a windows partition, and allow full read/write access to it. I do this with Ubuntu, without any trouble.

If you need any further clarifications, let me know.

Update: Sorry, I completely missed the OS X part, please ignore :(

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOGdiN1NRRlJBTEZVRXJVSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9