CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

HELP FOR OPEN MY EXTERNAL HARD DISK FILES INTO A PROGRAM RUNNING ON CROSSOVER.

HELLO,

INSTALED CROSSOVER TODAY, I INSTALL A MUSIC PROGRAM THAT NEED TO ACESS MY EXTERNAL HARD DISK TO BROWSE MY AUDIO FILES INTO THE PROGRAM. THE EXTERNAL HARD DISKS DONT APPEAR.. ONLY THE MAC PARTITIONS AND WINDOWS FILES BUT ALREADY INTO DE MAC PARTITION.

THE ONLY WAY I HAVE TO MAKE THIS IS PUT MY 150 LIBRARY OF SOUNDS INTO MAC INTERNAL HARD DISK?

LET ME SAY MY EXTERNAL HDS ARE NTFS BUT IM RUNNING TO NTSF PARAGON!

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WOULD BE GREAT.
BEST REGARDS
MARKUS

Are you able to have the Mac find the external hard disk?

Which program are you trying to run on CrossOver?

HELLO,

I cant find my external hard Disks icons on the program.. browsing it. and cant have acess to read or write using that aplication. Is a musical program called fruity loops 10!

I bassically want to be able to comunicate fruity loops with my external hard disks, to keep my library there. is a lot of information! and dont apear the icons of the devices. im not able to drag and drop files into fruity loops to!

Notice i run NTFS Paragon in my mac for write on the disks.

I will assume you can actually see and use the external drives/disk with your Mac file manager, in other words, that they are mounted properly, as that seems to be the case from what you wrote.

Adding drives can be done manually, as stated here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/driveconfig

An easier, but longer procedure, goes as this:

Go to the bottle manager, which "can be run by selecting Manage Bottles from the Configure menu" ( http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/officesetup ). Go to the "control panel" and use winecfg ( http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/controlpanel ).

In the "Wine Configuration", you'll see a "drives" tab. You can add a drive letter (like "D:" for instance), which you then associate with the path to your external drive, as an example "/media/ext_librairy" (without the quotes of course). Since I don't know the path to your drives (and I don't own a Mac), you'll have to figure that one out. The point is to end up having a drive listed in the windows which points to where your real external drive is mounted. Add as many drives as needed if you have more than one external drive. Mind you I could post a picture of WineCfg in action, but it would be in french...

The fact that your drives are NTFS isn't much of a concern, so long as your Mac is capable of reading/writing to the drives once mounted.

The procedure is pretty much the same as under Linux, so I wrote it down here. Which of course leads me to say that an actual support ticket might be more useful to you, as the Crossover staff is very helpful, and I'm sure they know more about macs than me. Besides, the fine print says "This is not a support forum. If you need product support use our Support Ticket System. "!😉

Done. Working perfectly! Can write on my external hds!!

Thanks a lot for your time!

No problem, glad to help!

;)

Only more technical question, you think the processment of the app (fruity loops) will decrease because i use the Crossover, and the aplication right in the particions the crossover create?

Like, using much programs to process my sound in the final stage of processing it would decrease the potential of my machine?

Short story, don't worry about performance...

Since I never used Fruity Loops, I have no actual facts to go on. But of course, because most of music software magic is number crunching in the processor or sound card, my guess is that you should not notice any performance problems.

The "heavier" software I have used are games. Most performance problems there, assuming Crossover runs them, is mostly because of the lesser performance of the video drivers for Linux (I hear the same goes for some Macs). Most office/productivity software I run basically runs at native speeds, with no "human noticeable" slow downs.

Crossover, like wine, simply translates instructions for Windows to native instructions (Mac or Linux) to allow a Windows software to run. Therefore, Crossover doesn't add much load on the system and is actually negligeable in performance reduction, if there is any.

In short, most of the time, you would need a very precise benchmark test to even detect the difference between running a software in Windows or under Crossover, let alone be bothered by it.

If I should be wrong about this, don't hesitate to open a ticket, the Crossover staff might have a tweak to speed up any bottleneck you might encounter.

thanks again for the tip! will see if all goes good! ;)

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieDRVUXpRSnZHaGJMWjJyNyIsImdkcHIiOjB9