CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Diablo 3 Installation: OpenGL does not work

Hello there!

I am currently trying to get Diablo 3 running on my Fedora 16 box (kernel 3.4.7-1.fc16.x86_64) with the latest verstion of Crossover.
I installed the proprietary drivers from nvidia, version x86_64-295.59. I am using a GTX 460 Graphic card.

All in all the installation of Diablo 3 in a new bottle went very well. When trying to start it though, I cannot get past the launcher trying to load the game when it crashes. The only problem with crossover I se in the bottle manager is "OpenGL does not work". When I click on it i get redirected here -> http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/openglnotworking.

I followed the instructions and installed the compatibility 32-bit Mesa libraries but OpenGL still is not recognized by crossover. I can see that OpenGL runs fine on the machine by testing it with glxgears.

Here is the output of cxdiag:

[root@localhost Downloads]# /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibCups]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcups.so.2 library"
"Description"="Needed to print to printers managed by the CUPS system, which is most likely the case. It is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibDbus1]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libdbus-1.so.3 library"
"Description"="This is needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibFontconfig]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libfontconfig.so.1 library"
"Description"="Makes it possible to find and use the system's TrueType fonts. This is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibGlu]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libGLU.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed by some games or CAD applications."

[MissingLibGnutls]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgnutls.so.26 library"
"Description"="This is needed by applications that perform encryption or check online certificates."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibLber]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblber-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibLcms]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblcms.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides color profile information to Windows applications. This is particularly useful if you have color-calibrated your screen but some applications need it even if you have not done so."

[MissingLibLdap_r]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libldap_r-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibV4l1]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libv4l1.so.0 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access video devices."

[MissingLibXcomposite]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcomposite.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed for most CAD-like applications and some games."

[MissingLibXcursor]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcursor.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use color mouse pointers. This is mostly useful for some games."

[MissingLibXinerama]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXinerama.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed if your display spans multiple screens. If your computer has a single screen then you don't need it."

[MissingLibXml2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxml2.so.2 library"
"Description"="This library makes it possible for Windows applications read and write XML files."

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

[MissingLibCrypto]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcrypto.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[MissingLibSsl]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libssl.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL does not work"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests. This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games, will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

I really don't understand why the Codeweaver installation cannot find the OpenGl libraries. Am I doing something worng? What should I do in addition to get the "OpenGL does not work" error away and start Diablo 3?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome, and if you guys need additional info just ask :)

Thanks in advance!

.. you need to install the proprietary nvidia drivers (both 64 & 32bir flavors).
Questions about diablo3 should be directed to it's forum page...

How am I supposed to install the 32 bit drivers when the nvidia installer won't even start??

# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.71.run
ERROR: This .run file is intended for the Linux-x86 platform, but you appear to be running on Linux-x86_64. Aborting installation.

You shouldn't use the nvidia installer if you can avoid it!

If your going to use Fedora, you should know that rmpfusion has all the "evil" proprietary stuff, including Nvidia drivers. You will find relevant information on the site: http://rpmfusion.org/ .

In particular, you need not the driver itself but the 32bit utilities. On my Arch box, I need lib32-nvidia-utils, but I don't know what the naming will be for Fedora.

Rmpfusion also has codecs and stuff you will need for multimedia.

Thanks for the answers, but which packages should I install from rpmfusion exactly? Anyone with fedora installation to help me out here?

I installed the rpmfusion packages like follows:

# yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

# yum install kmod-nvidia

But the kmod-nvidia is only available for x86-64... Where do I find a good prerequisite installation guide of all the things I need before even remotely being able to run something under Crossover?

It seemed to me that the Crossover Linux package works out of the box, with the "supported" applications at least, but now I think that everything is just like trying to get the Wine environment to work on your own... If that is the case why the 50 Euros a year for support?...

And why should I avoid the NVIDIA installer? And why are the 32 bit OpenGL libraries not a dependency for the corssover RPM package?

Ok, I think i was just off by a few, and what you need extra is here: http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia/#x86_64_.2864bit.29_users

Or more precisely, the package is xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

As for your other questions:

1) You could have opened a support ticket, even for the trial, and the staff probably could get you running. But there is a community around Crossover, and we try to help. The difference is that you don't have to rely on the community because of the support tickets, and Crossover is simpler and more stable than wine. Your choice...

2) The problem here is not "wine" vs "crossover", but free and non-free à la Stallman. Fedora chooses not to include non-free drivers, and that is the distro you chose. If you don't want that kind of trouble, you're on the wrong distro.

3) To avoid vendor installers is better because using your package manager, be it yum, apt, or pacman, ensure better maintenance of your system in the long run. Using an installer might not install things in the right place for your distro, and will for sure prevent proper updates to reach your system. That last bit is because your package manager will not be aware of what you installed without it. For a cleaner system, you package manager is the way to go as much as possible.

4) Why no dependency? Simple, if all you run is 2D productivity apps, you don't need that extra package. So Crossover doesn't insist upon it to run. You will still need it for games. Further, what if you are so inclined towards free software that you refuse to use the Nvidia blob (closer to Fedora phylosophy). Should Crossover impose it upon you, just to run apps you don't need it for? I'm not saying this is ideal, but it is not unreasonable.

Anyway, if the above package still doesn't do it for you, do try to open a support ticket.

Fist of all I am sorry for my harsh language in the previous posts. I am really confused and frustrated after 4 days of trying to get around this problem.

I tried the Nvidia driver installation and Crossover Linux installation from scratch, here are the details:

# yum install --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
# yum install kmod-nvidia
# reboot
# yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
# yum install glx-utils.x86_64
# glxinfo |grep -i render
# yum install ./crossover-11.2.0-1.i386.rpm
# yum install isdn4k-utils.i686 cups-libs.i686 dbus-libs.i686 fontconfig.i686 mesa-libGLU.i686 gnutls.i686 libgphoto2.i686 gsm.i686 libjpeg-turbo.i686 openldap.i686 lcms-libs.i686 libmpg123.i686 openal-soft.i6\
86 libpng-compat.i686 sane-backends-libs.i686 libv4l.i686 libXcomposite.i686 libXcursor.i686 libXinerama.i686 libxml2.i686 libxslt.i686 openssl.i686
# yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 akmod-nvidia-173xx.x86_64
# yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64
# yum install akmod-nvidia.i686

I then re-installed Diablo 3. No problems there.

OpenGL support seems to be working at lest according to:

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
    GL_OES_depth_texture, GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,

# /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.32"

But still Crossover fails to detect a working OpenGL. When I start the game though, after the launcher dissapears, i can see a Diablo 3.exe process running but no game window is opened.

I really think I am missing something small here, I will be glad if you could help me find the solution. The instructions here also didn't help me to get the game running -> http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/64bit_fedora

Don't worry about the language, we all get to that point with one thing or another. Heck, that's even why I switched to Linux, as Windows was much more frustrating for me! ;)

Jokes aside, I'll look into things later today and see what I can do from my end, but not being on Fedora doesn't help me to find the solution.

Maybe a support ticket? Really, I'm not kidding! ;)

Konstantin Boyanov wrote:

Fist of all I am sorry for my harsh language in the previous posts.
I am really confused and frustrated after 4 days of trying to get
around this problem.

I tried the Nvidia driver installation and Crossover Linux
installation from scratch, here are the details:

yum install --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

yum install kmod-nvidia

reboot

yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

yum install glx-utils.x86_64

glxinfo |grep -i render

yum install ./crossover-11.2.0-1.i386.rpm

yum install isdn4k-utils.i686 cups-libs.i686 dbus-libs.i686 fontconfig.i686 mesa-libGLU.i686 gnutls.i686 libgphoto2.i686 gsm.i686 libjpeg-turbo.i686 openldap.i686 lcms-libs.i686 libmpg123.i686 openal-soft.i6\

86 libpng-compat.i686 sane-backends-libs.i686 libv4l.i686 libXcomposite.i686 libXcursor.i686 libXinerama.i686 libxml2.i686 libxslt.i686 openssl.i686

yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 akmod-nvidia-173xx.x86_64

yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64

yum install akmod-nvidia.i686

> I then re-installed Diablo 3. No problems there.

> OpenGL support seems to be working at lest according to:

> ```

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
    GL_OES_depth_texture, GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,

# /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.32"

But still Crossover fails to detect a working OpenGL. When I start
the game though, after the launcher dissapears, i can see a Diablo
3.exe process running but no game window is opened.

I really think I am missing something small here, I will be glad if
you could help me find the solution. The instructions here also
didn't help me to get the game running ->
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/64bit_fedora

I think at this time you are best off opening a Support Ticket. You are welcome to ask for our Ninja who specializes in Fedora, Jack. It will likely be Jack and I that will help anyway.

If I had to chance a guess I would say that there are still driver issues and would suggest that you are better off doing a full uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers.

When you write in (ninjas@codeweavers.com) you should include a link to this forum post and also the output of:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug

It will give us more information than just running cxdiag.

Now pardon me while I go download Fedora 16 64bit to see if it is indeed horrible to get the Nvidia drivers working.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidzNCNVo4enZjQVVyUmhleSIsImdkcHIiOjB9