CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver 19.0.1 Office 2016 open in small window which can be resized.

Dear All,

I'm running in to the problem with Crossover 19.0.1 and Office 2016. Launching Work or Excel ends with opening application in very small size window normally in the top left corner. Even starting animation for Word or Excel is shown not in the middle of the screen.

Application window (Word or Excel), can be move around but can't be resized. Any idea what can be a cause of it?

I have the same problem. I have 2 installations. Everything is fine on my laptop, but on my desktop I have the same problem -- MS Office is impossible to use. I emailed Codeweavers support last week and have not received any reply.

We finally figured out what triggers this issue - attaching a second monitor of any sort (projector, screen, etc) will trigger this bug, and the bottle cannot be fixed. We narrowed this down to a regression in CrossOver 19 -- while we work to fix this regression, you have the option to use CrossOver 18.5 in locations where your Office bottle is broken. CrossOver 18.5 will "fix" the issue with your existing bottles, so you would not need to delete and reinstall.

I just checked and the ticket that you sent to CodeWeavers support does not seem to have gone through. Could you try to send a ticket in again and let me know if you do not receive a response?

Thanks,
Anna

In my case, I have 2 installations of Crossover 19.0.1. On one of the installations MS Occife 365 works fine. On the other I have the small window problem. So it would not seem to be related to 19.0.1 vs. 18.5,

As for tickets, I submitted 2 tickets on your web site over the past month and have received a response to neither,

Right, it sounded like the installations were on different computers - if you hooked the desktop with the broken install up to a second display at any point, it would break that install, while the other one could still be working fine.

I have alerted folks about the missing support tickets - hopefully we can get this solved.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna,

Yes, that is exactly the situaion. The install that works is on my laptop. The install that does not is on my desktop that had 2 monitors and now has 1.

Thanks

Bert

Just reinsallted 18.5.0-1 and can confirm that this fixed the problem.

@Bert, thank to back me up on this. I got a filling that I'm the only one :).
@Anna, thank you much for your support. I can't confirm yet if attaching any external screen will actually cause installation to break. Today I had an external screen attached but my office still works fine (I didn't use office with two screen set-up). I will again tomorrow and let you know.

Did this issue ever get fixed? The lastest version I see on the site is still 19.0.1 which I cannot use with Office.

I cannot confirm that 18.5 helps.

On my system (Ubuntu 18.04) Office 365 programs from an installed 19.1 bottle don't even start when switched back to 18.5. Going back to 19.1 starts all programs but the small windows bug is also back!

If it helps, I had identical symptoms with Word as the original poster on my machine. My configuration was Word (from Office 365) running on OpenSUSE 15.1 (Plasma 5) with Crossover 19.0.1 (installed from RPM). I run a dual or triple head 2560x1440 monitor setup permanently. I am using open source amdgpu drivers on an RX550 GPU. The Word window would be (too) small, located in the upper left corner and unmoveable.

When I downgraded to Crossover 18.5.0 the same bottle would then open Word full screen. The restore/maximise buttons would now work. However, I cannot drag the Word windows around or resizing by dragging the window borders. I can work around this by right clicking on the Plasma Task Manager and clicking move - this then allows be to relocate Word window on the screen.

When I upgraded back to Crossover 19.0.1 the original symptoms returned and Word could not be used because of its small window size and immovability.

Hello

This week I noticed the same issue. It seems to be this problem, since I had a second screen connected.

In my attempt to solve the issue I change the setting "Emulate a virtual desktop". Since this moment I cannot open any application from this bottle anymore. Not even the configuration to change the setting back. The applications in a second bottles still work. Is there a way to manually switch back the "Emulate a virtual desktop" setting?

Kind Regards
Michael

Dear Anna and other CrossOver developer,

Do you have an idea when this bug, will be fixed permanently without necessity to downgrade to version 18.5? While ubuntu 20.20 is released, we have troubles to installed version 18.5 due to some packages being removed from Ubuntu repository.

Thank you very much for your support.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Same problem here. When I installed the software, I had a second monitor connected. Now if I have the second monitor connected, it works fine, otherwise, the small windows problem cannot be solved.

Is this solved in 19.0.2? The changelog does not mention it. This bug is quite annoying.

Just tried 19.0.2 on my system and it does NOT fix the problem. Stay with 18.5

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 and see same "small window" problem with crossover-19.0.2.

I see you suggest running 18.5, but that appears to be problematic because dependencies differ:

$ sudo dpkg -i crossover_18.5.0-1.deb
[sudo] password for pauljohn:
dpkg: warning: downgrading crossover:i386 from 19.0.2-1 to 18.5.0-1
dpkg: regarding crossover_18.5.0-1.deb containing crossover:i386, pre-dependency problem:
 crossover:i386 pre-depends on multiarch-support

dpkg: error processing archive crossover_18.5.0-1.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing crossover:i386
Errors were encountered while processing:
 crossover_18.5.0-1.deb

i386 support is disappearing out from under Wine, I'm afraid.

The problem occurs when you have had 2 monitors attached, run Crossover and MS Office and then remove one of the monitors.. I found that plugging the 2nd monitor back in results in normal windows.

But of course this is not a real solution. The best thing is to uninstall Crossover 19.0.2 and then reinstall 18.5 -- at least until they come up with a real fix.

I also have this very annoying problem.
Even if I connect the 2nd monitor it does not fix it.

I have this problem now. The title of the thread said "can be resized" but it should be "cannot be resized". How about a fix, Codeweavers? Any news? No new version since January?

Hi,

Few days ago version 20 was release with hope that all the bugs related to Office applications will be solved. Unfortunately, that's not a case. It's even worst.

With version 19.0.2, I still could see Word application window after connecting external monitor. It was small and not really usable but I could see it. Now with version 20, I can't even see it any more. I have an icon in the Task Manager but I can't see the application window.

Any planes for Codewavers team to look in to it? For my personally, it's a deal breaker. I do not see any sens of buying a new license for version 20, if I can't use Office properly (at least the way how it was with version 18).

Hi,

I know how frustrating this bug is :/ I just wanted to let you know that we are aware of amount of pain this bug is causing, and we are looking into it. Someone started looking into it well before the release of 20, but was unable to find a fix in time for this release. Unfortunately, it is triggered by some very funky Office behavior, so it is not just a case of "we broke something" and just reverting a patch. This kind of breakage happens sometimes as we improve overall Wine -- something that was "just working" and actually relying on some failure in Wine now breaks visibly as we add more features and make Wine more technically "correct".

The good news is that at this point, the cause of the failure is known. The bad news is that it is not a simple problem to fix. Regardless of whether or not you buy a new license for cx20, you will be informed when we have a build that fixes this bug if you have a ticket in our system about it.

I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but I hope it gives you some insight into the black box :)

Thanks,
Anna

Dear Anna,

Thank you very much for the update. This is clear for everybody now. I can't wait for this problem to be solved.

I will keep my fingers crossed for this problem to be solved in no time.

Good luck.

Hello

I just finished a training during which I used an external screen with my laptop. And once more my Office Installation within CrossOver crashed. Even though I upgraded from version 19 to version 20. Hoping the problem would be solved. Any ideas when this problem will be resolved?

Kind Regards
Michael

Hello,

Any update to solve this issue ?

Regards,

I had issues getting Office 2016 to install until I installed Internet Explorer 8 into a different bottle. Office 2016 now installs into a Windows 7 bottle without any problems and Words starts. When I try to register, I get a window where the application is trying to install the latest version of Microsoft Edge and then I can go no further. I tried reentering the key, but Microsoft tells me that I have already used that key and I need to log into the account, where is where it insists on trying to install Microsoft Edge and fails.

I am wondering if you are having a similar issue?

Regards,
Ian

I have encountered the same issue, Word/Excel/etc resize when connecting an external monitor (using CrossOver 20.0.4) and this cannot be fixed afterwards. I have tried down grading to CrossOver 18.5, but the dependency for python-gtk2 cannot be met (using Linux Mint 20.1), so I am stuck with a non-functioning Office 2016 installation.

Is there any update on progress of fixing this bug?

Could you please provide an update regarding this bug/fix. I have attempted to install version 18.5 to avoid this issue but unfortunately on Manjaro/KDE installation fails because of a "fatal error".

Hi there,

We have a fix for this issue for CrossOver 21, due to be released this summer.

Best,
Meredith

is that a fix for the edge error?

Hi Lee,

Those are separate fixes, but both will be included with CrossOver 21.

Best,
Meredith

1 to 31 of 31

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYnlyOGF1UVZwTEdObkh3SyIsImdkcHIiOjB9