CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Getting a USB Device to Work in CrossOver for Linux 19

I have a DMR ham radio arriving today that is programmed by CPS (Customer Programming Software) via a USB cable. I have programmed other non-DMR ham radios with Linux software (CHIRP) via a USB cable - when I plug that cable in, the USB is accessed as /dev/ttyUSB0. But the CPS is (obviously) a Windows program. It installed and runs fine under CrossOver, but but I am going to need this software to communicate with the radio in the Windows way, as a comm port. I found an web page explaining how to do it on CrossOver for Mac that involved editing the bottle's registry. Is editing the registry really necessary, or is there some simpler way? For example, I got CrossOver to recognize my SD card using a symlink. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Pat Anderson

Accessing something like /dev/ttyUSB0 as though it was COM1, 2 ,3 etc within the bottle is just a matter of a simple symlink.

[link=https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Guide#Serial_and_Parallel_Ports][/link]

You can already view what COM port mappings Crossover already made with

ls -l ~/.cxoffice/MyAppName/dosdevices

And you can make a new one like this (assuming COM1 is free)...

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/MyAppName/dosdevices/com1

If say COM1 is already pointing at something else, and you really want it to be COM1 then just delete it first before making your symlink above...

rm ~/.cxoffice/MyAppName/dosdevices/com1

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFhSS0xrQ3ZuRkIzZnhWVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9