CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot install .Net Framework 4.8 on Lubuntu 20.04

I installed Crossover 19.01 on Lubuntu 20.04 but when I went to install the .Net Framework 4.8, it crashes.

Steps to reproduce:
Lubuntu 20.04, updated
Install Windows Software
.Net Framework 4.8
New Win10 32 bit bottle

When progress bars show, and it says "Installing..." it will run for about three or four seconds. Then, CrossOver will crash. There is no error reported. It just disappears. Rerunning does not help but it does show that the Bottle is not getting created.

Then, manually creating just the bottle works. So, now I have a bottle.

Trying to install .Net Framework 4.8 into the manually created bottle causes the same CrossOver crash.

Hardware: Lonovo ideapad 100, Celeron CPU N2840, 1.8 GB ram

Any ideas?

.NET 4.8 installed on my Ubuntu system a lenovo with i7 processor.. I created a new Windows 10 (presumably 32 bit) bottle and then I told it to install microsoft .net 4.8. It did the usual, install .net 2.0, .net 2.0 sp2, .net 4.0 and then .net 4.8. Gave me some error messages about some services not being available, but it did install. This is on an Ubuntu 20.04 system setup for 32 bits. I didn't tell it to install any actual applications other than .NET. Crossover did not crash for me. I notice you have 1.8Gig RAM, I don't suppose you are running out of swap space, just a thought.

Ubuntu 20.04
.NET 2.0, .NET 2.0SP2, .NET 4.0 and .NET 4.8
Windows 10 (32 bit) bottle.
Lenovo ThinkCentre 16Gig RAM

John Ervin wrote:

I notice you have 1.8Gig RAM, I don't suppose you are running out of
swap space, just a thought.

Well, I'm running Lubuntu rather than Ubuntu so memory is usually not a problem, especially when CrossOver is the only thing running.

My guess is that there are some libraries not included in Lubuntu 20.04 (it is a very lightweight flavor of Ubuntu) that CrossOver assumes are already installed but that's just a guess.

John wrote:

My guess is that there are some libraries not included in Lubuntu
20.04 (it is a very lightweight flavor of Ubuntu) that CrossOver
assumes are already installed but that's just a guess.

Forgive me for going from memory since I don't have CrossOver installed right now, but I think you can run something like /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag and /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag64 (wherever they were actually installed), 32-bit and 64-bit respectively, to show you what libraries are installed and which are missing. It's become one of my first steps after installing CrossOver before using it. And I didn't know about them for the longest time.

I ran cxdiag. It was right where you said it would be. However, I don't see what to do next.

Everything I see is "Suggest" or "Recommend" - but many are missing.

If they are just suggested or recommended, then surely they are not required, right?

Plus, is there a way I can install all of them? apt installing each one seems inefficient and very error prone.

John wrote:

I ran cxdiag. It was right where you said it would be. However, I
don't see what to do next.

Everything I see is "Suggest" or "Recommend" - but many are missing.

If they are just suggested or recommended, then surely they are not
required, right?

Plus, is there a way I can install all of them? apt installing each
one seems inefficient and very error prone.

There is no way to install of them at once unless you know all of the libraries beforehand and sudo apt install all of them at the same time. Yes, it is inefficient and error-prone. I don't know what system you are on, and I came in late to this discussion, so maybe you already said it. But the FAQ shows you the basics of what must be done. I'm pulling this stuff out of the FAQ for Ubuntu 16.04 but obviously that's a bit dated now.

Look at the instructions here, and if not on Ubuntu, you can find information on one of the other supported distros.

Ubuntu 14.04 (Main) FAQ

Ubuntu 16.04 FAQ

Hope this helps. You can always make a shell script after you discover everything needed. Usually I start with the first one, and I have to apt-cache search or apt search some of the names because they have changed in newer versions of Ubuntu, etc.

You should be able to get at least most of the suggested libraries by running cxfixes:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxfix --auto

However, it might be missing some things as it has not been updated for Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lasky wrote:

You should be able to get at least most of the suggested libraries
by running cxfixes:

However, it might be missing some things as it has not been updated
for Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks,
Anna

Oh, this is great! Thanks.

Anna Lasky wrote:

You should be able to get at least most of the suggested libraries
by running cxfixes:

However, it might be missing some things as it has not been updated
for Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks for this Anna. This got me 95% the way there. The report that was auto-generated after got me the rest of the way there.

Now, thanks to you, I can run my Windows apps on Lubuntu 20.04. You're the best!

Now, I find I cannot register CrossOver on Lubuntu 20.04 but that's a separate issue.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZmdkRndVNkJMcEpISnZKViIsImdkcHIiOjB9