CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Shared vs Separate Bottles?

I understand that in Crossover, the typical approach is to install each Windows application into its own separate bottle. But if you have a large number of applications - each with its own environment, its own separate copy of all the .NET frameworks, its own separate copy of all the C++ redistribution, etc - isn't this extremely redundant & an inefficient use of storage? That effectively makes an application that normally takes ~100megs of storage end up taking ~2 gigs...10 apps takes 20 gigs instead of 1 gig, and so on. Massive difference.

Are there significant downsides to installing multiple apps in the same bottle to avoid all this excess redundancy?

Yes and No. I have done both and yes you can just use one bottle till something doesn't play nice (like a patch or update ) and your programs stop working altogether, then you need to find out what isn't playing nice which may mean delete the bottle altogether.

Gotcha. So I guess it's sorta case-by-case, you can combine if you just want to save space, but there' risk of hosing the bottle & having to remake it from scratch. Thanks!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFRGcUh6TWJDVTJoYmhNMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9