CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot activate Office 365

I hope someone here can help, I have check the forums and cannot find anything that helps me - I have sent a message to official support (I have an active sub) but no response yet and it is becoming a bit of an issue.

I have been using Office 365 (mostly Word, a bit of Excel) for over a year on Ubuntu via CrossOver - initially on Ubuntu 19.10 and now on 20.04. Replaced my hard drive and did a complete fresh reinstall on Ubuntu 20.04, everything is working fine except CrossOver and Office 365 - It installs and works fine, I just can't activate it - it keeps complaining that it is having 'trouble activate Office 365 at the moment' and after a few days it gives up and disables the installation, I have to start over to get a working install.

I am running the latest version of CrossOver and I used the Office 365 bottle (which I think is Windows 7 emualtion?) from the applications lists.

Is this is new thing due to changes from Microsoft? (as I say, I have had it working with an identical setup previously). Obviously I have an active Office365 subscription.

Any help would be much appreciated - I use this for work every day.

I just did a fresh install of Office 2019/365 and was presented with this dialog
Maybe related if something changed on their end

Have you tried using the 'Unlisted application' option and selecting a Windows 10 bottle? That would be the first thing I would try.
Sometimes official support is a bit slow, but they are actively working on issues. My company has worked with them recently to fix a crash issue for a different software. Also, version 20 will be released soon, that might help as well.

Yes tried with a Windows 10 bottle and can't even get it to install, I suspect I have missed some dependencies like fonts etc

Steve wrote:

I just did a fresh install of Office 2019/365 and was presented with
this dialog
Maybe related if something changed on their end

Well I do not get that - I can log into my Windows account but it just will not activate

Installed on Mint 19.3 so might not help but I activated by opening Excel and then activating by signing in to my account - That is my only suggestion, I guess.

Just did an install a couple of weeks ago to Mint 19.3 - followed the directions in Tips and Tricks "Installing Office 365 Linux" by Ryan Abhiram - to the letter - including loading all 32-bit drivers and spoofing Edge in Firefox (only needed for downloading the image file, I think) and watched the videos. Worked fine . So maybe something changed?

It does mention that, as of May 15, 2020, if it installs Office 2019, that business accounts and educational accounts and accounts that require 2-factor authentification don't work yet/won't authorize.

Stuart Rymph wrote:

IIt does mention that, as of May 15, 2020, if it installs Office
2019, that business accounts and educational accounts and accounts
that require 2-factor authentification don't work yet/won't
authorize.

Ah, thanks for this - I use MFA on my Microsoft account, ,maybe this is the problem. I'll disable and see what happens

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSjlhcktGZlNYTEdoMmFrSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9