CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

First impressions

Hi everyone,

a week ago i decided to try out a Linux, i am getting tiered of windows 7 cracking up every 2-3 months ... so i tested PCLinuxOS (roll-out version, up to date) and tried my steam games with wine, of course big disappointment, so i tried crossover gaming 10.3.0. So my first impressions ware, that WOW, i can actually give up windows, so i decided to test a whole week. I have updated the whole system twice in this week.

Steam ... it seems to run ok, but there are serious problems with the window of it, I disabled all KDE (4.6.1) effects, but still, most of the steam window bottoms are not visible ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/snapshot1gn.jpg/ ), and if i click on the window title to drag it, once i release the mouse, the window continues to jump to near the mouse pointer when i move it, until i click the window again... several times i managed to click out of the window, on which occasion the window disappeared and never to be heard of it again, until i restarted steam :) very annoying issue ...

Let's go to the games, "in game community" actually runs ok, no problem (tested under CS1.6, CS:S, tropico 3, Gmod), everything works ok (i have read that its not working at all, but it does).

Also have read that DX9 causes problem with source engine, so -dxlevel 81 is the solution, but after installing DX9 ("modern version") into the bottle, no more problems, well, one tiny issue, in gmod, on gm_construct when i jump into the water everything is pitch black untill i get out, other then this i didn't see anything.

STALKER - shadow of chernobyl, Dead Space - they even run better then under windows. Particulary Dead Space had small lagging all the time, here, it runs fluently, i was pleasantly suprised ... only one issue with Dead Space, AntiAliasing doesn't seem to activate at all, while in stalker it works perfectly.

Now some bad parts, i re-installed Metro 2033 since the already installed version popped up window telling that i quote "Installing (step of) ..." then just existed. After reinstall it installed DX, VC, Physics and the game actually started, but once i moved the mouse over any icon 2-3 minutes of pause (yes, i know it's marked as not working)

Next Tropico 3 Steam Edition, i tried it out before metro and it wasn't 100% fluent on zooming in/out, but after Metro installed it's stuff, it actually was working 100% fluent. Two insignificant issues, the sea water at near the cost is totally transparent and the road selection is not visible, but insignificant issues, the game plays excellent.

CS1.6, CS: Condition Zero runs perfectly, the motd does not render, but who cares anyway (i read its a known issue)

Source engine games i have played: Left4Dead, Garry's mod, CS:S, Portal and TF2. Also the motd on CS:S and TF2 renders properly.

What didn't started at all was Portal 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Left4Dead 2 - "Game not available, try again later", Dreamfall: The longest journey - "Can't find Steam" and it opened a browser to steam's page.

So overall, its good but not perfect yet, especially that steam window issue is very annoying, slowly but surely the day is coming when we can ditch windows for a nice linux that doesn't need to be reinstalled every 2-3 months so that games run good on it.

Tested crossover on: Core2Duo E4600 (2.4Ghz), 4 GB Ram, Gainward GF 9800 GT videocard 512Mb ram,
PCLinuxOS (32 bit), KDE 4.6.1, Nvidia 290.10 driver.

Keep up the good work guys!

I haven't tried PCLinuxOS, looked at the website and it sounds good. Personally I use Linux Mint. I had tried using a couple different "flavors" of Linux before and decided it just wasn't really ready for a casual user (I'm a bit more than that, but wanted something I could easily use and recommend even to computer newbies). Then I was turned on to Mint back at release 7 (up to 12 now). It was true install and go -- just about everything worked right off the CD. No audio or video codecs or anything like that to track down and install. Most Linux releases only include open source stuff, but Mint includes many "freeware" but proprietary codecs and drivers -- anything that a computer user would expect to find. In this way it's friendlier than Windows -- I've always had to track down and load some codec or another to play certain files. Maybe PCLinuxOS is similar.

I do remember when a "PCLinux" came out years ago and tried that. It was supposed to be Linux crafted to feel comfortable to Windows users. Might be the same one. At the time I had a few issues with it, mainly the way software was distributed for it, IIRC.

Glad to see someone else taking the plunge though!! Welcome to Linux and Crossover!!

"i am getting tiered of windows 7 cracking up every 2-3 months "

an interesting thought - there are a few about who DO some to have issues win Win-7 😅

as I often point out to people - the H/W that it runs on - is often underpowered - especially Laptops.
yeah - it's supposed to be better than Win-6 - but Windows itself has many issues that aren't solvable by the end-user.

Whereas 'nix is supposed to be more stable & these days

• you aren't necessarily a Geek - if you do use it.
    But - it won't always have the s/w that you may need.

Pclos is a rolling release - that has a reputation for stability, I tried v2009 & quite liked it.

Pierre wrote:

"i am getting tiered of windows 7 cracking up every 2-3 months "

an interesting thought - there are a few about who DO some to have
issues win Win-7 😅

as I often point out to people - the H/W that it runs on - is often
underpowered - especially Laptops.
yeah - it's supposed to be better than Win-6 - but Windows itself
has many issues that aren't solvable by the end-user.

Whereas 'nix is supposed to be more stable & these days

• you aren't necessarily a Geek - if you do use it.
    But - it won't always have the s/w that you may need.

Pclos is a rolling release - that has a reputation for stability, I
tried v2009 & quite liked it.

Well excuse me, underpowered, a core2duo with 4 giga of ram is underpowered, sorry, i didn't know that i need a nasa computer 😅 - anyway it's off topic allready, windows 7 runs good for about 4 weeks, then it starts "optimizing" or what, noone could explain yet, when its writing to the hard disk with 30mb/sec and even in CS you have ping 150 instead of 10 ... what i'm expecting from an operating sistem is to run, not optimizing or whatever is doing. I hade advise from tens of people, turned off the indexing service, and all bunch of other services, nothing, and it does this about every 30 days, one week of usless operating system, after which it turns back to let's say normal. After 2-3 months the blue screens starts after hibersleep, and the whole windows gets anoyingly slow. A reinstall of course fixes the problem but only for another 2-3 months ... well, no good, linux at least runs as expected even after years ... the last operating system from microsoft that could actually run for years was windows XP, but for gamers, no DX10,11 under XP ...

As for linux mint, i am still using version 11 on the laptop, it runs excelent, but that is not a gaming laptop, but since v. 12 they put gnome 3 in it, and i hate it :) and i don't want to stick to v.11 and not have any updates after the support ends.

PS: Sorry for the offtopic, just can't help when the "stability" of windows 7 after it's first month is blamined at the user ... pace.

[quote=470164]> (quote:314052)

As for linux mint, i am still using version 11 on the laptop, it
runs excelent, but that is not a gaming laptop, but since v. 12 they
put gnome 3 in it, and i hate it :) and i don't want to stick to
v.11 and not have any updates after the support ends.

PS: Sorry for the offtopic, just can't help when the "stability" of
windows 7 after it's first month is blamined at the user ... pace.

When you boot Mint 12 there is a "gear" symbol in the log in box. Click that and you have the choice to switch to MATE instead of Gnome 3. MATE is basically Gnome 2 with the Mint Menu and all. There are some things I like about Gnome 3, but many things they just screwed up. If I wanted the OS to force me to work the way the developer wanted me to rather than be able to tweak it at least a bit more to my liking I'd have stuck with Windows.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibjZSdFp4ekxzWHY1dGJNZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9