CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install problem - "setup requires a different version of Windows"

I'm trying to install a label/address printing/database program. The install program gives me the error "Setup requires a different version of Windows. Check to make sure that you are running Setup on the Windows platform for whic it was intended" at the bottom left of the error window is "Error 102". The error code is probably from the software writer.

I have tried creating a bottle by Windows XP, and when that failed I tried selecting Windows 98 and also tried Windows 2000. Both had the same results. The software was written in 1999 and states that Windows 95 is the minimum OS required. I know the program will run on XP. It's obviously looking for something that would be in Windows and not finding it.

Is there anything I can do to get this to run? Would be nice not to have to re enter my database in someting else! I may have to resort to running XP in Virtual Box.

I put this in as a Support Ticket also, since it may fall under that, but won't hurt to see if someone has a work-around or I'm just out of luck here.

I have tried to install label management programs based on MSW. but it does not work well.

have you tried Glabels for linux, find it in the repository "sudo apt-get install glabels", install in a terminal screen.....

Their website is: http://glabels.sourceforge.net

It solved all my problems for label printing, and forget MSW.

I've been through this on the Linux forums. GLabels will work, but what I'm looking for is an integrated database/print program. To use anything native Linux requires at least two programs -- one to keep the database and another to print the labels. I don't like this two-step process for something that should be so obvious. Why can't you print labels directly from an address book database? The more important issue is I don't want to have to enter ~250 address entries into something else. I MIGHT be able to export to a CSV file and retrive most of the data, but would still loose some. If the existing program can be made to work I'll have no additional data entry and won't lose a thing.

The only possible integrated solution I might have is to use a database program or a spread sheet and create my own entry fields. I MIGHT be able to set that up to print a sheet of labels with a different address on each, but I'm not sure of that without some research. The report generators may not work like that, but I would think so. At worst I'd be limited to a certain size/type of sheet label.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140611

So the MS document is saying that I need inst32i.ex from the \Ishield\Disk1 directory on the Visual C++ compact disc, and if that is copied into the same directory I run "setup" from it should work? The document says to load that file into some other directories to prevent the problem, but indicates that it should work if the file is in the same directory as setup. Now I just need to find someone with Visual C++ version 4.0 and will send me the file... and it MIGHT work... Apparently the problem was fixed for later versions (document states the error doesn't occur if the MS SDK was used).

Frank wrote:

So the MS document is saying that I need inst32i.ex from the
\Ishield\Disk1 directory on the Visual C++ compact disc, and if that
is copied into the same directory I run "setup" from it should work?
The document says to load that file into some other directories to
prevent the problem, but indicates that it should work if the file
is in the same directory as setup. Now I just need to find someone
with Visual C++ version 4.0 and will send me the file... and it
MIGHT work... Apparently the problem was fixed for later versions
(document states the error doesn't occur if the MS SDK was used).

cough http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=9087

Not sure if that will help. If we weren't in the midst of a beta cycle I'd ask for log files and see if I could give you hand in getting it to run. You should check our log for an error message around:

"mfcXX" "msvcrtXX" "dcom" "msi"

If you see something with like the above with a "fixme" or "unimplemented function", post the lines from around that here... I'm just afraid an email to my Inbox will get buried right now. Or, you could attach a log file to the ticket and report that I suggested you do so.

...I merely recognized the error message (from long ago) ; citing the link;

"
This behavior is by design.

This problem occurs only when InstallSHIELD is installed from Microsoft Visual C++ version 4.0. It does not occur when InstallSHIELD is installed from the Microsoft Win32 Software Development Kit.
"

..probably related...ie; the install disc is likely calling the first
method. Ah... Caron just beat me to the link - I think new bottle, install
the redist Caron linked to into a new bottle, don't use autorun but manually
select the installer ; perhaps a kludge is to copy the CD contents onto
hard-drive, into said bottle, and instantiate the install process from
there... something like this, I'm running on 10+ year old memories...

...forgot to mention, OOo does all this in (it was actually
easier in StarOffice to do the same imho)....

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSGhocHNVWXlHWFV3cnFBdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9