CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can a link in a windows document call a browser on the linux side?

Hello All:
I'd like to use the linux (PCLOS) side of my notebook to deliver slide presentations. When I try showing the ppt files with Impress I get font errors and other occasional artifacts. So I tried the slides with powerpoint under crossover and the slides look fine. But, they have embedded links to youtube videos. Those links try to open in explorer on the windows side. Right now the links won't play properly because I can't seem to get flash to install. I also tried to get Firefox for win installed under crossover with no luck.
So, is it possible to get the embedded link in a powerpoint file on the windows side to open a link in a browser on the linux side?
Thanks,
Jim

On my CrossOver installation, a hyperlink in any MS Office document opens in my preferred browser in Linux. I presume there is a setting for this in CrossOver, but it just automatically works and I can't find where this is set. Sorry to not be able to tell you how, but it is possible.

Look at your bottle manager, the Advanced tab. There is a button there for "Use Native Web Browser by Default." According to the Help page, "Often when a web browser is installed in a bottle, URLs are automatically opened by the browser in the bottle. Click this button to redirect those URLs to your standard system browser instead."

Thanks, that did it!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRXpoeldrUnEyN2EydTdSTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9