CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows Applications - Remove Duplicate Shortcut

I'm on Linux Mint 12, which is an Ubuntu based distro.

I installed Microsoft Office 2007 on my account and had to do the same for my other login account.
I guess there isn't any option to install for all users as in Windows.

There also wasn't a shortcut created nor a Windows Applications option in the Linux Mint Menu.
I found some instructions on how to add a shortcut, which then created a Windows Appliciations folder inside the Linux Mint Menu.

But, I readded office because I wanted the shortcut to read Word 2007 instead of Winword.
But, apparently, you cannot just right click on the shortcut to remove it.
And there doesn't seem to be any way to do it from Crossover such as Manage Bottles.

Any idea what I should do?

If the shortcut works but just doesn't read the way you want, you can right click on it then rename it. Renaming won't affect how it works. You can also right click, go to "Properties", then edit the command line if you know where the program is located.

In the Linux Mint menu, under "Windows Applications", I cannot right click on the shortcut.
It doesn't allow me to edit, no contextual menu comes up, nothing.
So it allows me to continue to add shortcuts in it by using "Crossover", "Use a windows command".
But, I can never delete the item from the menu or change it's properties or rename it.

Frank wrote:

If the shortcut works but just doesn't read the way you want, you
can right click on it then rename it. Renaming won't affect how it
works. You can also right click, go to "Properties", then edit the
command line if you know where the program is located.

I found the answer.

You go to the Linux Mint Menu, Crossover, Manage Bottles, select the program such as Microsoft Office 2007, then on the right, click Control Panel, then double click on Edit Menus.

Uncheck the item. In my case, it was Winword under the path of Start Menu.

Having paid $40, you would figure that I would not have to provide my own tech support, but oh well.

So far, Steam and WoW works, but LoTRO is a bust.

Anyway, I've found the Crossover application to be decent, but the interface sucks horribly.
It is totally unintuitive.
No right click option to remove a shortcut added to the Windows Applications menu.
There are 8 links under Crossover, rather than having 1 program and 1 documentation file.
You should be able to open 1 item and do everything you need.
A wizard should be optional as well as a much simplified menu.

LoTRo requires pyLotro to load it. I don't have that game but I know you need pylotro. Try installing that cross tie.

Yup, loaded from the crosstie. Icon gets placed on the desktop.
If I load it from the Turbine loader, it locks up.
However, if I load it using pyLotro, it blacks out my entire screen and I cannot get out of it. Cold shutdown is required.

David. wrote:

LoTRo requires pyLotro to load it. I don't have that game but I know
you need pylotro. Try installing that cross tie.

lol Now PyLotro doesn't even do anything. I find the game directory, but it doesn't populate the dropdown menus. Weird.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicmFlUGJua2J4WTJQZnpHUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9