CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Where is Crossover on my system?

Installed the latest version of Crossover today using Ubuntu 11.10. Install seemed to go smoothly.
Then, tried to install Photoshop CS4 Extended. That did not go well. I realize it is an unsupported application.
Now, I would like to go back and look at Crossover. In the old days, I could invoke it from its icon on my gnome menu. I'm running Unity, now, and cannot find an icon, and if I type Crossover in the Dash Home box, nothing comes up.

The only way I can confirm that Crossover is installed is to click some Windows setup icon and then click to open using Crossover.

If I open the Software Center box, I can search on Crossover, and three applications appear, none of them show to be installed, none offer me the option to install or remove.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thanks.

Caruso

John Calloway wrote:

Installed the latest version of Crossover today using Ubuntu 11.10.
Install seemed to go smoothly.
Then, tried to install Photoshop CS4 Extended. That did not go
well. I realize it is an unsupported application.
Now, I would like to go back and look at Crossover. In the old
days, I could invoke it from its icon on my gnome menu. I'm running
Unity, now, and cannot find an icon, and if I type Crossover in the
Dash Home box, nothing comes up.

The only way I can confirm that Crossover is installed is to click
some Windows setup icon and then click to open using Crossover.

If I open the Software Center box, I can search on Crossover, and
three applications appear, none of them show to be installed, none
offer me the option to install or remove.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thanks.

Caruso

Caruso,

I do not run Ubuntu, but it is possible that I may still be able to help you. How did you install? Was it via a .deb file or the generic installer? If it was via the .deb file, did it create a cxoffice folder in /opt? On my Fedora installation, that is where CrossOver is located. The bottles are in my home directory in the .cxoffice folder.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with Unity. Does it have a menu editor where you can add programs? Can you create your own launchers?
I would also refer you to file:///opt/cxoffice/doc/en/index.html, which is the help file which should have been installed when you installed CrossOver. The index lists this in Appendix A:

CrossOver creates two directories during its installation and setup. The installation process creates a directory structure at a user-specified location, whereas the setup directory is always in a fixed location relative to the user's home directory.

the Bottle Manager may also modify the MIME type associations on the system as well as the KDE and Gnome menus.
Installation Files

The location of the installed files can be specified during the installation, which defaults to ~/cxoffice for a non-root installation, and /opt/cxoffice for a root installation. The installation tree has the following structure:
bin This directory contains all the executable programs used by CrossOver. As a general rule, it is better to not place this directory into your PATH as it may conflict with other versions of Wine. We recommend creating symbolic links to individual programs in /usr/bin instead.
lib This directory contains all the shared object files used by CrossOver. Again, we recommend against adding this directory to your ld.so.conf or to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
doc This directory contains the CrossOver user guide.
.mojosetup This directory is generated during installation and contains information used during the uninstallation process.
share This directory contains supporting files used by CrossOver.
support This directory contains your system's published bottles.
support/installers This directory contains any installers that the Bottle Manager has downloaded for you.

etc. The etc directory contains the CrossOver configuration. This directory contains the following files:
cxoffice.conf The CrossOver configuration file. The variables are fairly heavily commented, so there is a good chance that if you were so inclined, you could meaningfully edit it with a text editor. However, note that for most users we recommend using the Bottle Manager to modify this file.
*.bak the Bottle Manager automatically backs up old versions of configuration files. It can get untidy--feel free to delete extraneous files.

~/.cxoffice. This directory contains all of the CrossOver settings, and all of your bottles.

~/.cxoffice/bottle-name. Each bottle directory contains the following files and directories:
*.reg Files that contain a simulated registry for the Windows environment.
drive_c A complete directory structure replicating a Windows environment.

I hope that this will help you to fix your problems.

Stephen:
Thanks for your detailed reply. The files were located where you said they should be.
I loaded up the Gnome option for Ubuntu and found Crossover on the menu where I am used to seeing it.

Normally, Unity has this 'Dash Home' icon that brings up a box that groups application by type. You can also enter all or part of an application's name, and that should make its icon appear in the Unity box.

This did not work for Crossover, however. I cannot explain why.

I will probably try uninstalling Crossover and try a reinstall to see if I get better results.

I am trying to install Photoshop CS4 which is not fully supported, although, looking through the forums, I see that it has achieved a silver status and some seem to have it working.

I am only really tinkering, here. I run a dual boot Win7/Ubuntu on a new Asus G74 laptop. If I want to do serious photo editing, I either fire up Gimp (in Windows or Ubuntu) or boot into Windows and start CS4 from there where it works flawlessly.

Thanks again for your reply.

Caruso

[quote=76783]Stephen:
Thanks for your detailed reply. The files were located where you said they should be.
I loaded up the Gnome option for Ubuntu and found Crossover on the menu where I am used to seeing it.

Normally, Unity has this 'Dash Home' icon that brings up a box that groups application by type. You can also enter all or part of an application's name, and that should make its icon appear in the Unity box.[/QUOTE]

Does Unity have any way to add a program launcher? Can you manually add a launcher for the CrossOver items you need? For example, to get the "Manage Bottles" function, create a launcher for /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup and repeat with /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxinstaller for the "Install Windows Software" function, /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxprefs for the "Preferences" function, /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxreset for the "Terminate Windows Applications" function, and /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxrun for the "Run a Windows Command" function.

[QUOTE]This did not work for Crossover, however. I cannot explain why.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, neither can I. Maybe someone more familiar with Ubuntu and Unity can help you here.

[QUOTE]I will probably try uninstalling Crossover and try a reinstall to see if I get better results.[/QUOTE]

If you do, I hope it works better and makes my suggestion above unneccessary.

[QUOTE]I am trying to install Photoshop CS4 which is not fully supported, although, looking through the forums, I see that it has achieved a silver status and some seem to have it working.

I am only really tinkering, here. I run a dual boot Win7/Ubuntu on a new Asus G74 laptop. If I want to do serious photo editing, I either fire up Gimp (in Windows or Ubuntu) or boot into Windows and start CS4 from there where it works flawlessly.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried using the CrossTIE file for the program? That is perhaps the best way as someone has tested it and made sure all the needed parts are there. I've created a few of those now, and so can claim at least a minimal level of experience. Using the CrossTIE keeps you from having to reinvent the wheel.

[QUOTE]Thanks again for your reply.

Caruso[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I have been the beneficiary of much help in the past, so I am glad I am able to help.

I'm not a Ubuntu user so I can't test things on Unity, but perhaps this forum post will help:

Crossover menus in Unity (Ubuntu 11.04) and GNOME 3

Hope this helps,
Warren

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiclFzdlJtVE01cjZuOUxMZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9