CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

office 2010 wont open files with execution permission

when I try to open a file with execution permission, neither double-clicking or using open with... context menu.

I have to change permissions of the file and then I can open them. It is quite annoying though.

The big problem is I need to store some files in ntfs partition and I have no way to change the permissions of those files, since the owner is root. So the only way I can open those files is starting an instance of word, excell... and use the Open File... menu to find the file in the hard disk and open it. Very annoying.

I am using ubuntu 12.04, crossover linux 11.0.3 and office 2010

Any solution?

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

I don't have a NTFS partition to fool around with and really figure things out, but I have an idea if the permissions are the problem.

If the permissions is the problem, instead of changing each file's permission individually, use the terminal and type "chmod 664 " in the folder which contains them. All the files within that folder will be read-write. If there are subfolder use "chmod -R 664 ". You can therefore change permissions very quickly to read-write (without execute) without much effort. This will work if you want to change all the file on the partition too, should that partition contain only data.

Crossover can't read/write correctly to an NTFS filesystem, so files shouldn't be opened directly from one or it'll cause strange errors when you're working on the document. The files need to be located/copied to an ext3/4 filesystem first.

I've got 2 questions...

1) This is probably a stupid question, but would a symbolic link to a folder on the NTFS partition work better? Would it make Crossover act as if on a ext3/4 partition?

2) What if I want to tinker with a btrfs partition, is that a problem, or are all "Linux" partitions supported?

Yes or No are enough of an answer.

If you have fuse file system for NTFS installed will crossover then work with an NTFS file system ???

Thanks, Rucadulu

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieEdoZzRjc2doOEpHcENOQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9