CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot install trial

Hi,

I'm running ubuntu 12.10 64bit.

I previously had the wine meta package installed from the software centre, but I removed that. When installing the 64bit .deb, I get the following errors -

user@user-GA-MA785GT-UD3H:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for user:
(Reading database ... 165599 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-crossover 11.2.1-1 (using ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-crossover ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ia32-crossover:
ia32-crossover depends on libc6-i386; however:
Package libc6-i386 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on ia32-libs | ia32-apt-get; however:
Package ia32-libs is not installed.
Package ia32-apt-get is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32gcc1; however:
Package lib32gcc1 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32nss-mdns; however:
Package lib32nss-mdns is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32z1; however:
Package lib32z1 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32asound2; however:
Package lib32asound2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 changed doc-base file...
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover
user@user-GA-MA785GT-UD3H:~/Downloads$

Thanks for anyone who can help.

try running

$ sudo apt-get -f install

now, that should take care of the flagged dependencies and then install Crossover at the end (without your needing to manually try to install Crossover, again).

Jack Phinney wrote:

try running

$ sudo apt-get -f install

now, that should take care of the flagged dependencies and then
install Crossover at the end (without your needing to manually try
to install Crossover, again).

I'm having the same problem trying to install to Ubuntu 12.10 as the previous poster. The command recommended above did not solve my problem. I am unable to install CrossOver or Wine either for that matter.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Good day, I am not able to install crossover on Ubuntu 12.10 either. I have tried apt-get -f install several times. I tried installing ia32libs and it now states that I need libs32v41. I just seem to be going in circles. I am just trying to get MS Project to work. Thank you.

If you're performing the same initial command as the first poster, and seeing the same output, which is:

user@user-GA-MA785GT-UD3H:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for user:  
(Reading database ... 165599 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-crossover 11.2.1-1 (using ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-crossover ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ia32-crossover:
ia32-crossover depends on libc6-i386; however:
 Package libc6-i386 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on ia32-libs | ia32-apt-get; however:
 Package ia32-libs is not installed.
 Package ia32-apt-get is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32gcc1; however:
 Package lib32gcc1 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32nss-mdns; however:
 Package lib32nss-mdns is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32z1; however:
 Package lib32z1 is not installed.
ia32-crossover depends on lib32asound2; however:
 Package lib32asound2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 changed doc-base file...
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover 

and you then proceed to immediately run

sudo apt-get -f install

and this command fails to install (a) the necessary libraries and (b) Crossover, itself, at the end, can you please provide more information on the errors that you get after running that "apt-get -f install" command?

Please note that Crossover won't just pop up and start running after the apt-get process is complete. You'll need to launch Crossover from the appropriate icons as found in DASH Home:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/ubuntu_1110_menus

Lastly, note that the easiest method to use to install Crossover from the appropriate .deb package (i.e. the package that's appropriate for your system's architecture) is to right-click on the file and choose open with the Ubuntu Software Center.

As a note, at least one user reported that after all of the above methods failed him, he had to run

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

then

sudo apt-get update

To get the 32-bit dependencies in order and then Crossover installed. This wasn't necessary on any of the 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 machines we have here in the office, and I'm not entirely sure why it would be necessary on some Ubuntu 12.10 installs and not others, significant changes to the default installation configuration notwithstanding.

I had the same problem as the original poster - I couldn't get the tool to install. I tried the add architecture, but it already was added. I tried the apt-get install -f, but all that did was want to remove Crossover!

So after playing around a bit what I found worked for me was:

Open software sources
On the tab "Ubuntu Software" change the "download from" to "Main Server" from the pulldown (it was set to UK server)
I then went into synaptic (but I guess apt-get update would work) and marked all packages for update. I had to do this twice as one package was held back
Run sudo apt-get -f install in a terminal

The last step caused ia32-libs-multiarch to be downloaded, and the other dependencies, and now the Crossover runs as expected.

So I suppose the changing of download servers and the reload of the package lists caused some index to be re-built and solved the issues.

Hope this helps!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWNNR3QzZ2NDdDNUYW1WUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9