CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I found a new way to break wineconfig

In the graphics tab of the win configuration plugin, I inadvertently set a huge screen resolution (>400dpi).
Now everything displays in gigantic fonts, and the dialog is far too big for the screen, meaning I can't
get to the setting to change it back.

There is no setting in /opt/cxoffice/etc/cxoffice.conf, so the display resolution must be stored elsewhere.

But where?

It gets worse -- by blindly clicking, I managed to get the dpi set back to 96 dpi. BUT the rest of cxoffice won't reset, and all windows use 1" high letters now. Completely unworkable.

Do not mess with this setting!

How do I get back to normal? Why can't I set 72 dpi?

Man, you've got me scratching my head. I did learn a lot because of you 😉.

Anyway, I made a temporary test bottle, screwed the DPI badly, and used the following command in terminal to set things back to normal. Just replace "a_bottle" by the name of the bottle (usually found in ~/.cxoffice).

echo -e "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Hardware Profiles\\Current\\Software\\Fonts]\n\"LogPixels\"=dword:60\n" | ~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "a_bottle" regedit -

It worked for me, so I guess that should do it for you too. I know I'll make a note of that code, because I don't know if I can come up with it again! 😋 DONT REMOVE THE "-" AT THE END OF THE CODE, it's usefull.

Edit: Not having seen your last post, maybe you've changed the resolution to a huge resolution while "blindly clicking", so if your DPI is normal, try:

~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "test" explorer /desktop=default,1024x768 winecfg.exe

That should get you the winecfg windows in a "normal" sized window which would allow you to undo the fun you've made for yourself. Anyway, these two code segments, in order, is the best I can come up with. If this doesn't work, well, you're knee deep in it... Unless some kind Codeweaver ninja takes pity on you.

Good Luck!

Thanks very much for your help. Here is an image showing a very screwed up MS Word window with fonts too big, normal and too small in different parts of the window.

http://postimage.org/image/3sqmykkcl/

Pretty awesome huh?

I wish I had known what I was getting myself into when I touched that slider. Never again!

AWESOME! Such a wondrous vision, and all without the use of drugs!

That being said, I'm not really sure from reading your post, did my stuff work?

Yes, the first thing you suggested is what I did using a text editor on system.reg, which got me back to almost normal.
The problem I'm having is after that fix, the big fonts won't go away.

Check out the wine task manager from cxsetup:

http://postimage.org/image/6mq5o4rzr/

Cool huh?

I'm thinking I have to trash this bottle and start over, but I'd rather understand and fix the problem.

Jon

Well, I derived my info from winehq, and the relevant section to DPI said that if the commands fail, you have to start over, which you can find here.

So I guess at the point that you are, you'll need a do-over. I never touched that slider, and now I know how deadly touching it really is!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNnV0dFNtSzhZcVFVQnU2bSIsImdkcHIiOjB9