CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Future Support for Fedora

In the mail that announced CroosOver 11.3 it was said that

An important fact about CrossOver 11.3 is that this is the last
version of CrossOver which will work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

1. Future versions of CrossOver will require changes to the X11
    libraries which are not present in RHEL5, so CrossOver will not be
    able to function on RHEL5 after this release.

Does this strictly mean RHEL5 or is Fedora, Mandriva etc included?

Thanks
Dirk

Almost certainly Red Hat Enterprise Linux only.

Fedora should be fine as long as you're on a recent version. I don't think the other one (was it Mandriva?) was ever supported.

Note also that RHEL 6 is the current version, not 5 and support is being cut for RHEL 5, so 6 should still work.

David. wrote:

Almost certainly Red Hat Enterprise Linux only.

Correct: RHEL5 is a fairly old distro at this point: we still intend to target modern Fedora, etc.

OK. Thanks for the answers.

Dirk

Dirk Schnelle-Walka wrote:

In the mail that announced CroosOver 11.3 it was said that

An important fact about CrossOver 11.3 is that this is the last
version of CrossOver which will work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

1. Future versions of CrossOver will require changes to the X11
    libraries which are not present in RHEL5, so CrossOver will not be
    able to function on RHEL5 after this release.

Does this strictly mean RHEL5 or is Fedora, Mandriva etc included?

Thanks
Dirk

RHEL5 is based off Fedora 6. So yeah its an ancient release. But for servers, its not in a bad spot. All the kernel and security stuff is backported. For desktop use, go with RHEL6 and when RHEL7 is released, its going to be the second coming of Jesus. The issues with Pulse + Wine not being friendly together in the same room will be over. Flat out, when RHEL7 is out, I will have no need for any other distro. Red Hat will get many more entitlements with my name on them :P

As far as Fedora, always supported (I presume, CW, please chime in if I am wrong). Fedora defines tomorrow's Linux features.

Andrew Schott wrote:

As far as Fedora, always supported (I presume, CW, please chime in
if I am wrong). Fedora defines tomorrow's Linux features.

Yes, except for the bleeding edge, when they sometimes break things ;)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic3NIaFpWV3RwZFpCZzhZUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9