CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

firefox wants to open everything with CrossOver

Hello,

I just finished installing Crossover 11.3.0 on a Fedora 17 machine. Now that I have a couple of things installed (specifically Stronghold and Echolink) I find that Firefox (16.0.2) wants to open all downloads with something in the crossover installation instead of defaulting to save-as or choosing a more sane option. These are not listed in Firefox's Applications configuration tab, so it's pulling them from somehwere else. I can't see exactly what it is selecting as the path is too long for the tiny dropdown selector on the Download dialog, only that it's hiding in the crossover installation directory.

Since I installed as a user with the .sh installer, where might I find these MIME-type associations or whatnot so I can squish them? Note that it's wanting to use items in the crossover bin directory, and not anything inside a bottle (even then I used cxassoc to delete any from the bottles).

There are file type associations which you can find in the advanced tab of the bottle manager.

Each bottle has it's own potential associations, so if you have many bottles, it might be a chore. I can only think of that for now. I have never came across such a problem, so I wouldn't know much more that to look in the bottle manager or Firefox itself.

Yea, doesn't seem to be bottle specific. For example, if I try to download and EXE, firefox is wanting to open it with the crossover 'run a windows command' binary. I suppose it makes sense, but it's unwanted in my case.

Something just came to mind. I would imagine this is not distro or DE specific so, here goes.

File associations are managed by "mime" files situated in two forlders. One is in ~/.local/share/applications and the other is in /usr/share applications, being your user specific and system wide files associations respectively. Look in anything which the name contains "mime" or "default.list".

I had to edit those files to get rid of a really annoying file association with adobe reader (installed to edit one government produced PDF no less). I also imagine you could nuke those files, but that would mean rebuilding the other associations one at a time. The files can be read by humans...

I should state that I'm not entirely sure this is what you need, but I thought I still shouldn't keep it to myself.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQjNObmNLUG4yTGVxeUJ5biIsImdkcHIiOjB9