CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

So I'm trying to set up a bottle to install a program that requires .NET 4.0 and Visual C++2005 Redistributable. After fixing some library dependencies for network connections and XML that I had to research to find, I installed .NET 4.0 with no issues what-so-ever. When I went to install Visual C++ 2005 there were no dependencies listed as missing, so I went to install that into the bottle as well. It stops right when I start the installation with an msiexec.exe window popup that says "Platform Not Supported."

This application is literally the last one I need to get to work, and if I can, I'm switching to Linux. I really want to, so I hope that there's some fix for this.

Chris Allen wrote:

So I'm trying to set up a bottle to install a program that requires
.NET 4.0 and Visual C++2005 Redistributable. After fixing some
library dependencies for network connections and XML that I had to
research to find, I installed .NET 4.0 with no issues what-so-ever.
When I went to install Visual C++ 2005 there were no dependencies
listed as missing, so I went to install that into the bottle as
well. It stops right when I start the installation with an
msiexec.exe window popup that says "Platform Not Supported."

This application is literally the last one I need to get to work,
and if I can, I'm switching to Linux. I really want to, so I hope
that there's some fix for this.

Hi Chris
I just tried the installation on OpenSuse and got the same error. I then tried installing C++ 2008 and it worked maybe it will work with your software. If not you should open a ticket with support.

As I'm not yet a customer, just someone trying the software out (I'm not gonna buy it if I'm not switching to Linux, ya know?) I wouldn't be able to open a ticket. I'll try the 2008 as you suggest though.

Chris Allen wrote:

As I'm not yet a customer, just someone trying the software out (I'm
not gonna buy it if I'm not switching to Linux, ya know?) I wouldn't
be able to open a ticket. I'll try the 2008 as you suggest though.

You can write to info@codeweavers.com. Codeweavers does respond to those on a trial.

I have gotten that when trying to install .NET 4.5 in a WinXP bottle. Since, .NET 4.5 only runs in Vista and newer MS operating systems. What OS type is your bottle set to mimic?

Here's how I got it to install:

1) create a WinXP bottle and install .NET 4.0 via the crosstie
2) in the bottle manager -> advanced tab launch "Wine Configuration" and modify the Windows version from XP to 7
3) download the offline installer from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=225702 and run it

It will complain about missing "Windows Modules Installer Service". Click on the Continue button anyway.

This will likely get it installed for you. Running the applications that depend on it is another thing... some may work, most probably won't

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidW5VcncyZVY4Tm1NdnFGTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9