CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Migrating games from a old cedega install?

I have a old computer with some games installed using cedega. I was wondering if there is a simple way to copy the bottles over to a new install of crossover. I would assume it is possible b/c all of the registry & data should be contained in the original directories. I was just wondering if anyone had done this or had any ideas on where to start.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think there is a way to migrate.

Over time, Cedega has diverged pretty far from Wine, and it's technology is very different. Cedega is also very proprietary and therefore somewhat of a black box. This has made it a very different product from Crossover which is much closer to the Wine project, and has contributed back to it. Cedega and Crossover share the same principles, but the implementation is probably incredibly different. In other words, there are a number of unknown differences which would make migration a very complex matter, to the point I would not hope for it to be even possible. At the very least, the very time and effort needed could be well beyond worthwhile.

Yes you could just copy game files, and find registry entries, but then making a new bottle and installing the game will do just that. Reinstalling will also prevent from having to scour the registry, hoping to find all the keys for a given game. At that migration you want, it doesn't make for a complete bottle, as you probably will have to figure out what components you need in it anyway.

Although I admire the tinkering spirit your question shows, I wouldn't recommend this path of migration.

No, I kind of agree. There have been considerable changes to both wine & crossover since I last used them. However I don't think this should be a cause of any issue barring a serious regression or two. I recently copied some bottles over from crossover pro version 6 and had no issues. So I doubt that would be much of a issue. Wine has been improved in the last ten years or so I am willing to bet. Any how I think what I will try is create a empty bottle in crossover and copy the data files into it and edit the corresponding registry to match the cedega one. Set the paths to the disks and see what happens.

Sure, do the experiment if you like, and I am curious about the result. I just don't think the effort required makes much sense considering the time needed, and that the chances of success are slim.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN0FxcXJDVmdSejd1SHBReCIsImdkcHIiOjB9