CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

RO2 + CrossOver problems (Linux Mint Mate x64)

I downloaded the trial version of Crossover to see if I got Red Orchestra 2 to work. The game starts, but not perfect.

This happens when I start up the game via Steam (Crossover):

1. I press cancel on the .Net and pb installation, and the game "starts".
  2. The resolution of the desktop drops very low (zoomed).
  3. I have to Alt + Tab and select the game in the list for the RO2-gamewindow to open. (The window has no edges)
  4. I see only 5% (an edge) of the game window and can't move to see more.

What must I do to fix this?

First thing's first. The resolution isn't "zoomed" it's just a lower resolution and this makes anything on screen look bigger. Anything but the native resolution on a flat panel display, like most people use today, looks horrible(I miss my old CRT, sigh).

I happen to have the free, single player version (there was a promo not long ago) and by the looks of it, it's an Unreal Engine 3 game. Which means that it has some initial quirks. One is the fact that you need to Alt+Tab to get to the game window. Happens with all the UE3 games that I know of with the exception of Mass Effect (the first in the trilogy). The other is the funky way to set up a proper resolution. The following trick usually works:

(make sure steam and the game are closed first)
1) Open the bottle manager, select the bottle where this game is installed and go to the Control Panel tab
2) Select Wine Configuration, click the Launch Selected Item button
3) Go to the Graphics tab and check the Emulate a virtual desktop box, click the Apply button and then OK to exit.

Start Steam, (you should see the Steam window within another window), start the game, go to the graphics options and set a proper resolution to match your native display rez. It may still look funnny. No problem, just close the game and then Steam. Repeat steps 2) and 3) to remove the emulated desktop setting. Start Steam and the game and it should be all fine for you now.

Pro-tip: on some desktops, you can move a window by holding the Alt key and holding left-click on the window, while dragging it around. There is also the option to rebind that key combo....

Thank you very much for your help, Silviu Cojocaru!

I have now updated and verified punkbuster with pbsetup.exe and pbsvc.exe on my Steam Bottle. But I still get kicked from servers with punkbuster.

According to WineHQ, it is possible to get it to work. Any tips?

This page may shed some light:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5813

Sorry for the late reply - I was just working through my unread forum posts.

I'm afraid PunkBuster will not work. The main problem is the API fingerprinting.

For the mouse pointer issue, see the MouseWarpOverride key here: http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys . The same keys exist in CrossOver. For MouseWarpOverride we have an additional value "force_edge" that only warps when the mouse gets close to the edge of the screen.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWk5MdmszMmRjcVVkYUtSMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9