CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office (2010) use on SMB version 2 shares

I keep running into an issue that i cannot seem to resolve;

I have Crossover 16.2 on my Xubuntu 16.10 (but had the issue as well on Crossover 15.x) with Office 2010 installed through the crossover script. This works great. I can use outlook, excel without many issues (sometimes a graphics issue, but resizing the office window seems to fix that).

Since about a month i have a new NAS and i have set up a cifs share (since my wife uses Windows). I can mount and use the share as both SMB1 and SMB2. I had the intention to eventually disable SMB1 since it is security wise rather bad.

So i started testing with mounting the share as vers=2.0 in fstab:
//nas.home/share$ /home/user/WindowsShare/ cifs noperm,rwpidforward,nocase,soft,vers=2.0,rw,credentials=/root/cifs.pwd,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

This mounts just fine and with Libreoffice and other linux programs i can do everything i want on the mounted share...

BUT, with crossover office (or any other crossover bottles) i can open files. I can save NEW files, but i cannot save an existing file. I keep getting a sharing violation.

Now if i mount with vers=1.0 i can do everything.

Am i doing it wrong (no surprise), is this an issue with SMB implementation in linux or is this a problem with any wine based software?

And the question i doubt has an answer, can i fix this?

I dont own office, but does this occur literally in all bottles? As in, if I were to spend the time to configure Samba on my NFS fileshare to do exactly what you have, will (Open/Libre)Office be broken in that way too? If so I may be able to screw around and see if there is a fix.

I liked your phrasing, it made me wonder if a empty windows 7 bottle had the same issue. So i made one, used wordpad (pretty much only app in it i guess?!) and it did NOT have the same symptoms, which means it is specifically office related.
And i don't know if libreoffice for windows in a bottle would have the same issue. Worth trying i guess, will give it a run today.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRVQ5U1dnYzl5V0NDZjlXdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9