CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Segmentation fault on Arch Linux (crossover 17)

Installation fails:

$ bash install-crossover-17.0.0.bin
upgrade
/bin/sh: line 155: 21361 Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$CX_ROOT/bin/cxtie" --register

Don't know what to tell you apart that I managed to install with the bin file on both my systems.

I'm thinking the bin file you have has probably been corrupted while downloading. It would certainly be the simplest explanation. Did you check the md5 sum?

56f461bed1f9c82f00a30e9d577ef3e8 install-crossover-17.0.0.bin

Let's find out what this python calls that crashes...

$ gdb python2.7
Reading symbols from python2.7...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run ../cxoffice/bin/crossover

Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffe92b8700 (LWP 5332)]

Thread 1 "python2.7" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff79594d7 in __strlen_avx2 () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6

bt
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

64 0x00007ffff74ed1fa in builtin_import.lto_priv.1225 () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

65 0x00007ffff74ccd93 in PyObject_Call () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

66 0x00007ffff7502f61 in PyEval_CallObjectWithKeywords () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

67 0x00007ffff74a7464 in PyEval_EvalFrameEx () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

68 0x00007ffff74a4b50 in PyEval_EvalFrameEx () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

69 0x00007ffff7503886 in PyEval_EvalCodeEx () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

70 0x00007ffff751905a in PyEval_EvalCode () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

71 0x00007ffff75207f1 in run_mod () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

72 0x00007ffff75220d5 in PyRun_FileExFlags () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

73 0x00007ffff75222aa in PyRun_SimpleFileExFlags () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

74 0x00007ffff7510863 in Py_Main () at /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

75 0x00007ffff7822f6a in __libc_start_main () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6

76 0x000055555555478a in _start ()

It looks like you manage to install, but I'm curious did the md5sum match?

I would also be curious to see the results if you ran Crossover with python3? Maybe there's something wrong with your python2 files... In any case, I can run Crossover with python 2 and 3 without a problem, so I would try both if I were you.

That being said, I'm really not an expert at reading gdb outputs...

Hi JP,

The MD5sum matched, I did try do re-download and it matched again.

$ python3 cxoffice/bin/crossover
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Do you happen to know which binary python executes in the end?

Not exactly. I might be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that Crossover is custom version of Wine with a gui wrapped around it. So, in the end, it executes Wine, the rest if for ease of use. Just about everything is a python/gtk gui, most (if not all) gui files being in cxoffice/lib/python. I'm not convinced there is a formal, compiled binary for the interface.

On another line of thought, I'm not sure how much help it would be, but did you try the cxdiag executables in the bin directory? You can try with or without a "-- debug" flag. Maybe it would spit out useful information. I've never used it with a segfault, but it costs nothing to try.

Lastly, officially Arch isn't supported, but unofficially I know some devs do use Arch. With that in mind, I would be tempted to try a support ticket as the devs might already know what is going on with your install. Who knows, maybe there's an easy fix they can tell you about. If they have a quick solution, or some pointers, I'm sure they'll be more than glad to give what information they have.

Can you run other Python 2.7 programs without a crash?

I ran the installer via sudo, and the installation worked. Still have the segfault however:

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

Running crossover via sudo does work:

$ sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

So, which files in my local user should I check and remove to make crossover work under my local user again? Crossover 16 had no such issue...

I have installed on Manjaro which is customized Arch and 17.0 installs and run without hitches.

I notized your comment about sudo. That is most often a consequence of using AUR which installs to /opt

As this is an upgrade then you should upgrade with package manager - either pacaur or yaourt

{yaourt|pacaur} -S crossover

Uninstalling

pacman -R crossover

Reinstall (.cxoffice for bottles and cxoffice for CX binaries)

~/Downloads/install-crossover-17.0.0.bin

My best experience with Arch and CX comes from installing with the bin installer.

We're getting somewhere. As the regular user, unsetting all ENV variables except for essenstials makes crossover run:

unset KDE_MULTIHEAD
unset GS_LIB
unset KDE_FULL_SESSION
unset TERMINATOR_UUID
unset COLORTERM
unset PERL_MB_OPT
unset MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
unset XDG_VTNR
unset PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN
unset SSH_AUTH_SOCK
unset HG
unset XDG_SESSION_ID
unset DESKTOP_SESSION
unset GTK2_RC_FILES
unset SSH_AGENT_PID
unset XCURSOR_SIZE
unset XDG_SESSION_TYPE
unset XDG_DATA_DIRS
unset TERMINATOR_DBUS_NAME
unset XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP
unset PERL_MM_OPT
unset PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT
unset GTK_MODULES
unset TERMINATOR_DBUS_PATH
unset VTE_VERSION
unset XDG_SESSION_CLASS
unset XDG_SEAT_PATH
unset XCURSOR_THEME
unset XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
unset PERL5LIB
unset XDG_SEAT
unset SHLVL
unset LANGUAGE
unset GTK_RC_FILES
unset LOGNAME
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unset XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
unset XAUTHORITY
unset ANT_HOME
unset XDG_SESSION_PATH
unset QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR
unset KDE_SESSION_UID
unset KDE_SESSION_VERSION
unset SESSION_MANAGER

Now time to look for the culprit...

That was fast:

$ KDE_FULL_SESSION=true crossover

Not sure why...

https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Environment_Variables#KDE_FULL_SESSION

Thanks for all the help people :). I'm now able to use crossover again, this is a workaround I can live with.

So, have you tried to set KDE_FULL_SESSION to false instead of unsetting it? In the description link you sent, it says that some programs may test if it was set to know if a KDE session is running. Probably it will be a better idea to set it to false, if possible.

Good job!

Interesting stuff, but why? It seems a fairly innocuous setting to have.

This is likely caused by our proxy detection code. If KDE_FULL_SESSION is set, the CrossOver GUI attempts to read proxy settings using Python bindings to KDE libraries. It's probably an issue with those Python bindings.

You can override this by specifying manual proxy settings in cxoffice.conf.

Esme Povirk wrote:

This is likely caused by our proxy detection code. If
KDE_FULL_SESSION is set, the CrossOver GUI attempts to read proxy
settings using Python bindings to KDE libraries. It's probably an
issue with those Python bindings.

You can override this by specifying manual proxy settings in
cxoffice.conf.

In ~/.cxoffice/cxoffice.conf I added this:

[BottleDefaults]
"HttpProxyHost" = ""
"HttpProxyPort" = ""

(via https://github.com/axilleas/aur-mirror/blob/master/crossover-pro/cxoffice.conf)

but it still segfaults. Which settings should I place, and in which file?

1 to 16 of 16

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSlBkeDdDdTk5RkFac0VydSIsImdkcHIiOjB9