CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 2016 Window Cannot Resize After Maximize

CrossOver 18.0.0
Kubuntu 18.10 (same as Ubuntu 18.10 but with the KDE Plasma 5 desktop). Intel graphics
Word and Excel first open maximized
Click the Maximize / Restore button (upper right corner) of Word or Excel
Window resizes down to a smaller size but cannot maximize or manually resize the window again. Seems like it is being restricted.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks.

Hi,

This is something that has been happening with Kde 5 for a a long time indeed.
You can try what is described here : https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30587

@Rui - thanks for the reply. It pointed me in the right direction to find a link written by Peter Vollebregt which addresses the issue.

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;msg=177373

The original write up was for Office 2007, but they also work for Office 2016 as-is. The system settings referred to below are for KDE System Settings --> Window Management --> Window Rules. Not Wine bottle settings.

I had the same problem wit office 2007 and found the solution (use kwinrules) here: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20006

Disabling desktop effects did not help.
Unchecking "Allow windows manager to control the windows" had side effects (window always on foreground).
What works for me with Word, Excel and Powerpoint is:
Start System Settings
Select Window Behaviour
Select Window Rules
Click "New..." to create a new Window Rules
Enter the description
Window Class: Regular Expression. I use .\b(winword.exe|excel.exe|powerpnt.exe)\b.
Check "Match whole window class"
Check on tab "Size & Position"
Check "Full screen": value Forced, No
Check "Ignore Requested Geometry": value Forced, Yes

KDE Plasma 5 continues to amaze me as to how flexible it is. :)

Thanks for your tips re plasma. I confirm that this works for me, on KDE Neon.

I had the same problem but fixed it by unchecking the "allow operating system to control window" in Wine configuration -> graphics.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHh1djNzTFNGdzRBTUZXYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9