CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Differences between Wine and CrossOver

Hello all,

I've been using both wine 4.0 and CrossOver 18.5 on my system and was wondering what the differences between Wine and CrossOver are globally in regards of extra or custom / added libraries. Because I've got a few pieces of software that work fine in CrossOver, but do not fully work in Wine or not at all. I'm compiling wine myself (with most configure settings turned on) but there's just a few things that seem to differ. I've even added external patches from git to add faudio support for example, but the Deezer app is working fine in CrossOver (default settings W7 x64 bottle) but does not play in any music in Wine and the slider isn't moving (while usual sound works fine in Wine). The app gives the exact problem closing. Another example is the 3CX Client which works in CrossOver, but just shows an opaque square in Wine 4.0 even after installing the required libraries and asking them exactly the same as in CrossOver.

P.S. I'm not looking for support on the issues, I'm just wondering what the differences are to get things clarified.

I actually wrote a blog post that might cover some of your questions here: https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/alasky/2019/3/21/wine-crossover-and-proton-whats-the-relation.

The post doesn't get into many specifics -- as for extra/custom libraries, we have the Faudio and vkd3d libraries integrated into our product now. We also have hacks that are not in plain wine - this might explain the difference in behavior you are seeing. I explain more about the reason for the hacks in the blog post.

Does this help clarify things for you?

Thanks,
Anna

Anna,

Thank you for your clarification. That explains a lot and answers my questions indeed.

Regards,
Niels

The scripted installs of CrossOver are great too, especially if you don't want to get into tinkering much for something to run. I find that it's also quite stable compared to Wine sometimes, where downloading the latest Wine version sometimes might have a show-stopping bug (not often, but it does happen).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicVd0U0g3SjZjVTlVcXlBSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9