CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Canonical announces they're dropping support for 32-bit applications in all future releases

i386 architecture will be dropped starting with Eoan release in October

I know the news is kind of fresh but I was wondering if Codeweavers had any preliminary thoughts about how this might affect running CrossOver on upcoming versions of Ubuntu and all of the distributions that are based on it? WINE has made some astounding leaps in functionality in the last six months, in no small part thanks to your contributions, but do you think it's at a point where it can run just as well on 64-bit libraries as it does now on 32?

Its a nightmare for us retro people ☹️ This news earlier tonight (other source) really tore down my evening mood :-/

I've been keeping up with the discussions at discourse.ubuntu.com, and I am under the impression that Ubuntu is moving in the direction of still providing some degree of multiarch support, so as to maintain compatibility with Wine (and thus Crossover and Steam) and some other applications such as printer drivers.

See this post, for instance.

EDIT - Canonical has put out an official statement saying they will continue to provide a range of 32-bit packages in Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04, so as to ensure compatibility with 32-bit applications:

https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32-bit-i386-packages-for-ubuntu-19-10-and-20-04-lts

Thanks for pointing out their updated position, Geert. Reading that put my mind at ease about the future of WINE in general and my own Linux distribution preference in particular.

You're welcome!

On Sunday, I actually installed another Linux distro on my desktop because I didn't want to lose Wine support, but I quickly discovered that it wasn't as user friendly. Quite relieved, now, although I wonder how the projected use of containers post-Ubuntu 20.04 will affect performance,

Hmmmm I think this is a case of shooting yourself in the foot ....... bad move ... I get 32 bit is not the norm nowadays but that's one of the things I like about linux is the fact there is no norm

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSEZyQlFGYlhBRm15WldyQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9