CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't copy and paste into Rootsmagic notes in Crossover

I am using Crossover 18.5.0. Just installed a week ago so it should be the current version.

I am running it on Ubuntu 18.04.

I installed Rootsmagic using the current Rootsmagic tie, from the Rootsmagic page, which allegedly does the fixes for Rootsmagic to work. Let me know if it leaves something out!

I am not able to copy and paste from my web browser, which is Chrome, into notes in Rootsmagic in Crossfire. It pretends to work but no text appears. Doesn't matter if I use right click method or ctrl V method.

Google found a thread about the same problem with Crossover Mac in versions 15 and 16 and you were allegedly going to fix it, having allegedly already fixed it once in version 15 - that was a long time ago.

Is there a workaround, or something I should install in the bottle I don't know about, or should I request a refund? You can't do genealogical research without copy and paste, and by the time I even got Rootsmagic to sometimes WORK in Crossover I also do have it running on 32 bit windows 7 in a virtual drive in VirtualBox. Crossover is more convenient - if it works!

Whatever the problem is may have something specific to do with Rootsmagic. In my Windows 7 Rootsmagic installation in Virtualbox I can't copy and paste from my web browser into Rootsmagic notes either, though the copy and paste and clipboard functions both ways are fully enabled. I can copy and paste into Notepad in my Windows 7 installation in VirtualBox with no problem.

I am running the current version of Rootsmagic. I just updated it. In Crossover I'm running whatever version of Rootsmagic your Rootsmagic tie installs. If it goes out and gets the current version that would be last week's.

But, I can evidently not only copy from my web browser outside of VirtualBox and paste it into Notepad inside of VirtualBox, but I can then copy the same text from Notepad and paste it into VirtualBox with no problem.

I can also paste the same text into Gedit outside of VirtualBox, and then copy it, and paste it into Rootsmagic notes inside of Virtual Box.

This being the case, I shut down Windows 7 and closed out of VirtualBox, opened Crossfire, opened Rootsmagic, opened somebody's notes, copied the same text from Gedit, which is a Ubuntu text editor, and pasted it into Rootsmagic inside of Crossfire with no problem.

That suggests that the specific problem is trying to copy and paste from a web browser into any virtual drive sort of solution to running Rootsmagic. Perhaps it is that something is going awry with the HTML code?

Yours,
Dora

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibnFXWUU3QjlnTmN2M2U0VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9