CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How do I run a Windows executable file with its files without installing the program?

I'm testing a Windows program in development that isn't at the point where a Windows installer has been made for it yet. It is supposed to run from a folder where the contents of a zip file was extracted to.

I don't see a way to get an executable to run without it being part of a regular Windows installation with the installer creating all of the folders like \appdata, etc., for it. Is there a way to do this with the "bare" files in a folder? I tried what I thought was a way to do it and it said it was using the bottle from another Windows program I already installed in Linux using Crossover. It might just be that this program can't work that way in Crossover.

One other thing I wondered about for when this program has an installer (or for other Windows programs) is whether there's a way to get the bottle to be like Windows 7, 8.x, or maybe even XP? There used to be a way to pick that when installing the programs but I don't see that any more.

Thanks!!!

Donald

Hi Donald,

I'm not sure about the first question you have about running the Windows program in development, but I can definitely answer the second part about bottle type :) Yes, that is still something that can be chosen individually for every install -- When you have the CrossOver Software Installer window open (by clicking "Install Windows Software" or by other means), you can seen the places to select the installer and the bottle as "tabs" along the top of the window. If the program already has a preferred bottle type set in its CrossTie, the installer will skip straight to the "Install & Finish" tab, but you can always click on the tabs at the top to go back to a previous step. In this case, you would want to click on "Select Bottle" and then choose your bottle type. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Anna

Hey Donald..
Not sure if this helps, but I run a stand-alone Windows 98 program in Crossover.
I browse to the file, right click, and select open wit Crossover (Run).
There are no installation issues, and the program works fine.

Hope that helps ya!
Good luck.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWHo5NzNySGJuVkYzTXc4eCIsImdkcHIiOjB9