CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cant enter a password during linux package installation?

right after installation when it is trying to get the packages it needs, it needs my permission to install the missing packages. However i cant actually type in the details box. is there a way i can run CrossOver to have it not need my verification or have it install the packages in a terminal? i am using Ubuntu 16.04

Hi there,

I suspect the issue is with ubuntu 16.04, as we have not supported that distro in quite some time.

Best,
Meredith

Ubuntu 20.04 lts is really stable and good might want to upgrade to it or wait till April as Ubuntu 22.04 lts will be out.

I can second what the others here are saying, you should have been off Ubuntu 16.04 prior to April this year as it no longer gets security updates.

Hi
I have the same issue on Arch linux.

To all those who said the OP should upgrade his Ubuntu - yes, BUT THE EXACT SAME ISSUE OCCURS IN 20.04. Installation of the Windows program starts, and then a terminal-like window opens that says "Crossover needs your permission to install additional packages" followed by a long command. Below this it says "Authenticating as" (my username), with a blinking input cursor - BUT when I type my password and press Enter, nothing happens. It appears to be non-functional, and really makes using Crossover quite useless. I cannot copy and paste the long command into a new terminal, so installation terminates. Very frustrating. I see that this has happened and apparently is still happening to others. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks!

Hi there,

Does you user have sudo permissions?

Best,
Meredith

Well, I am a sudo-er, that is, I have permission to use sudo, but I ordinarily use sudo only at the command line for operations that require it. Should I make myself a SuperUser whenever I run Crossover? Should I start Crossover with "sudo crossover"? Some more explantion would be helpful here!! Thanks!

On edit - I made myself a Super User with "sudo su -" and started Crossover again. Same result, could not enter password at prompt.

Additional info - trying to install iTunes for Windows. Crossover says "Great! Runs fine!" or something like that, but it still chokes on the installation of the additional packages.

Help please!

The reason I asked is because you do need to enter a sudo password in order to install the additional packages, so that was one possible explanation for why this wouldn't be working for you. Are you never getting prompted for your sudo password

Looking more closely at your account, it looks like you are still on an older version of CrossOver. What version of CrossOver are you using? We fixed a similar issue for ubuntu 20.10 in CrossOver 20.0.4, but it's possible it is now affecting ubuntu 20.04 as well.

Meredith

My Crossover version is 20.0.2, which is what the website said was what I could download in my account.

I don't have a "sudo password" that is different from my Ubuntu password, and it is at the password prompt in the additional package download window that Crossover chokes for me, it simply does not accept input, or if it does (because of course nothing shows up on screen) I have no way to know. In either case, I type my password, press Enter, and nothing happens.

I did get iTunes installed with plain vanilla WINE per this article: https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-download-and-install-itunes-on-your-chromebook/ Chromebooks for some time have been able to install Debian in a container (project is named Crostini), but I was running Crossover in an Ubuntu installation under crouton - I have used this for a long time, and it pretty much has worked better for me than Crostini. I have successively run 16.04, 18.04 and now 20.04.

Thanks for your attention and advice.

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ3l1c2NGRXBhVTJXRXA0diIsImdkcHIiOjB9