CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can no longer save MSWord documents (.doc or .docx) as .pdf

Hello. I recently upgraded to Crossover 21.0.0-1.deb with Mint 20.2 (64 bit) and MS Office 2007. I no longer have the option to save Word documents as .pdfs. I did have that option using Crossover 17.5.1-1.

Is there some setting I've disabled in Office 2007, or in Crossover that's preventing a .pdf save?

Thank you.

Hi, Gil!

I don't remember Office having the ability to save in .pdf until a few years ago, certainly not Office 2007. That said, Linux has had for maybe a decade the convenient "pdf printer". You choose to print your document, then select the "pdf printer" and the system will ask you where to save the file and the filename.

I do remember, however, that in some combination of Kubuntu version and Office 2013 the "pdf printer" wouldn't appear... Maybe you are having a similar problem.

Silvio, thanks for this reply. Where is this Linux .pdf printer you refer to? When I try to print a document I have only two HP printers offered, one black and white, one color.

How can I reach this .pdf printer from MS Word?

Thank you.

I have just opened a document with my Word 2010 and confirmed. The pdf printer does not appear in MS Office... It appears in any native Linux program, but not MS Office running on Crossover...

My classic workaround is to open the document in LibreOffice and save to pdf from there. By the way, LibreOffice implemented this feature maybe a decade before MS...

I have just remembered having read somewhere that installing pdf-cups should solve the problem. Well, I did install the package, but still don't see any pdf printer under MS Office...

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I have just opened a document with my Word 2010 and confirmed. The
pdf printer does not appear in MS Office... It appears in any native
Linux program, but not MS Office running on Crossover...

My classic workaround is to open the document in LibreOffice and
save to pdf from there. By the way, LibreOffice implemented this
feature maybe a decade before MS...

Silvio, I just opened a Word document using Libre Office Writer. There is no option to save as .pdf. At least in the "save as" function. Is there a .pdf save somewhere else?
Thx

In my Kubuntu 21.04, I can choose a printer named "print to file", then I select portable document file and choose folder and filename.

But there is a much easier option. There is an icon just left to the "print" icon in the toolbar. It is the "export to pdf" icon. Click it and save to pdf directly.

Good pdf file saving!

Also, you can choose "file", then "export to pdf".

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

In my Kubuntu 21.04, I can choose a printer named "print to file",
then I select portable document file and choose folder and filename.

But there is a much easier option. There is an icon just left to
the "print" icon in the toolbar. It is the "export to pdf" icon.
Click it and save to pdf directly.

Good pdf file saving!

Silvio, many thanks for this. Works perfectly.

I am thinking back and maybe (??) I am mistaken to think that I was saving as .pdf directly from MS Word/Office 2007. It's been some months since I installed Mint 20.2 and then upgraded Crossover. Maybe I was saving Word using Open Office and then converting from there.
In any case I really appreciate your time helping me recover a lost memory. :o)

Anytime! I don't know much about Windows .DLLs or Linux programming, but when I know something specific, like saving to pdf, it's a pleasure to help. Anyway, I'm glad that you solved your problem!

Office 2007 has an add-in "Save as PDF" in the Microsoft version.
After installing this Office via CrossOver I tried to import that add-on in the Office 2007 bottle.
It did install but it did not appear as an alternative for saving when opening Word 2007.
I also installed ClassicMenu and it seemed to install but did not show up in Word 2007.
As if not integrated in Word 2007 or generally in Office 2007.
It appears that installing any add-on in Office 2007 is a general problem!
Any suggestions?

Unexpected discovery....
Preliminarily "Save as PDF" appears when I have opened a .docx file in Office 2007, but not if I open a .doc file.
Will check this further.

Jan Erik Sigdell wrote:

Unexpected discovery....
Preliminarily "Save as PDF" appears when I have opened a .docx file
in Office 2007, but not if I open a
.doc file.
Will check this further.

Interesting. I tried using a .docx document and had no better luck trying to save as .pdf.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRU44bktHWllIOGJFZU4yYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9